• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A record of my low tech experiment

The experiment continues and at the moment it's not going as well, flow through the spray bar became an issue uprooting the foreground plants so I've switched to some diy acrylic pipes, see how they go.
13855788804_0d775069ff_c.jpg

Got some bba, GSA and gda, I'll keep this running to see if I can beat them back without co2 if not my low tech days are numbered :)

Hi all, How is it going? you could always try a few floaters, that normally does for GSA and GDA. BBA is more of a problem if you don't like snails.

cheers Darrel
Hey Darrel, algae growth has slowed somewhat, I was away for a month and the tank as all my setups pretty much suffered from a lack of water changes, early days but the Gda/GSA on the glass hasn't returned little brown algae on the right side of the tank only which has plenty of sunlight (too much IMO) bba is manual removal but growth has slowed and it's only on hardscape not the plants fortunately, I'm a little more upbeat about this one at the moment.

The tank is really lovely. Well done.
The algae could be because you've removed the fast growers or at least I can't see any on the picture. I think a combo of both works best.
No water changes does not promote algae in low techs, at least never happened in my low techs some of which have gone without any for a good long while. I do not dose anything though.

Maybe it's just an adjustment period in yours. My low techs seemed to have some sort of plant issues at the start with melts which sorted themselves out eventually. The only algae I've ever got is green dust algae at the very start of a setup and that was one tank, which by the way is very easy to reproduce by overdosing a bowl of tank water with ferts and place it on the window sill in summer time. So I always associate it with nutritient overload, hence fast growers work well to keep a low tech in balance in my opinion.

Reactions: tim
A weekend away without kids is a real novelty for the OH and myself, unfortunately returned today to find the spraybar on this had popped out of its suction cup and drained the tank all over the kitchen floor, filter motor has burnt out, not happy to say the least, about 4 inches of water left in the bottom thankfully my little exclamation point rasboras have survived, I've flooded an emersed tank I had running its small at 12 litres but they'll have to call it home for a month or two, I will be setting up a 40x40 shallow tank I have for them using a couple of hob filters, as my first foray into low tech it was short lived but enjoyable. Thanks for looking :)

Wow Tim... I have just read your issue with the other tank and now this!
Ok, in these situations, positive thinking: you have two empty tanks and more time to think about the next setups! ;)

Jordi

Oh, geez, sorry to hear about that. Terrible. Glad the fish are ok.
Me too :)
Wow Tim... I have just read your issue with the other tank and now this!
Ok, in these situations, positive thinking: you have two empty tanks and more time to think about the next setups! ;)

Jordi
every cloud has a silver lining :) it'll give me the opportunity to set up a tank I've wanted to for a while now shallow plenty of emersed growth, I've had a run of filter related bad luck recently.
How'd the Mrs take it? :mad:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
suprisingly well ;) got the mop out and started the cleanup for me :lol: weekend away worked wonders considering it's the second filter related flooding in just over a month. Testing hobby sometimes :crazy:

I am really sorry for the troubles that you've been going through,...but then again as you so awesomely put it,...every cloud does indeed have a silver lining ;):). In this case,...an opportunity to set up that sweet 40 by 40:). Go for it Tim.

I hope you have picked out a nice room for your tanks ;) are you buying a new place?

I hope you have picked out a nice room for your tanks ;) are you buying a new place?

No mate struggling to save a deposit stuck in the eternal London rental trap at the mo :lol:, I do have space for a few of my tanks in what should be the dining area but I've commandeered it as my tank space ;)

Awe man I can't imagine renting or trying to buy in London I'm sat on 20k thinking I've nearly got enough to buy, can't imagine that would touch London house prices.
Its insane to think about but my better half's gran owns a 4 story house in notting hill that they paid 15k for......

Back