• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A fool and his money...

Well done it's looking good!Now can you leave it alone for a bit to settle down and grow;)
Thank you for the comments. After half a bottle of port I hope I can make sense.

I thank these forums for some amazing advice and guidance, reading Clives responses on other threads really helps (Before I came on here who knew algae was caused by incorrect dosing, low flow and co2 issues?) !I'm super happy with my tank, taking photos of it don't do it justice like many photos on here don't do the owners justice.

Really looking forward to seeing it grown out, thanks everyone for your support.

</End drunken ramblings>

Night, hopefully I don't wake up with a terrible headache :D

The first arrivals!

13275019833_a61307238a_b.jpg

Oh yes i like the shrimp:)What are your water parameters looking like?Better doing a nice slow aclimatisation drip with those red crystals.
TDS of 150ish, KH of 4, PH of 6.3. 50-50 RO and tap water, 24 degrees.

Plants havn't seemed to grow at all yet, only been five days since I planted though... I'm really impatient!

The crystals are really interesting though, there's 15 of the little buggers. They seem to love being blown around by the lily pipes :D

PH is fine for your crystals as is TDS.KH is high but yours is a planted tank not a shrimp tank.If the GH is 5 or 6 then that would be great.Have to see how they get on with the co2 and ferts.Best of luck!

PH is fine for your crystals as is TDS.KH is high but yours is a planted tank not a shrimp tank.If the GH is 5 or 6 then that would be great.Have to see how they get on with the co2 and ferts.Best of luck!
Your right, probably not the best shrimp to put in... I'll try to look after them the best I can...

Bit of an update and you'll all be glad to know it's full of pictures! I'm getting a new lens at the end of the month so hopefully the picture quality will improve as it's very poor at the moment.

13315297443_078c169a63_b.jpg

13315486454_919911126d_b.jpg

13315051335_5ede32ed7f_b.jpg

13315390734_32b6786f2b_b.jpg

13315360124_0d8f43ffb1_b.jpg

13314965165_58acbe0038_b.jpg

13314933565_6fa8c87ee3_b.jpg

I have a day off tomorrow so i'll be taking some good pictures of the progress so far.

Hi Dan.

Great thread and very interesting for me when considering a similar set up. I think you are potentially worse than me when it comes to tinkering with the scape ;) but we will see when I get mine!

Looking forward to watching this one develop. Good to see people moving from the dark side of marine over to planted :)

Quick question. Did you not think one gro beam would have been enough? Seems there are different thoughts on the ideal lighting for this tank. Also what do you think of the G3? What makes it worth all that extra compared to other filters?

Looks great already. All the best with it

Last edited:
Hi Dan.

Great thread and very interesting for me when considering a similar set up. I think you are potentially worse than me when it comes to tinkering with the scape ;) but we will see when I get mine!

Looking forward to watching this one develop. Good to see people moving from the dark side of marine over to planted :)

Quick question. Did you not think one gro beam would have been enough? Seems there are different thoughts on the ideal lighting for this tank. Also what do you think of the G3? What makes it worth all that extra compared to other filters?

Looks great already. All the best with it
I'm pretty terrible when it come to tinkering but I guess that compulsive disorder comes from the salty side :D I'm sure you'll tinker when you've got it all sorted. So much easier being shallow and not getting your arms wet.

One Grobeam would be enough, Ian Holdich just just runs one and his tanks are always superb, I like the flexibility that the two give me, I also run them off a 8 way controller so I can run them exactly how I want. Lighting on planted tanks are nowhere near as important as they are on marine tanks, and no way would I ever put TMC tiles on my marine tank but they are a 'high end light' on a tropical planted tank. G3 filters are great, not a cheap one mind but a filter change takes 15 seconds, you get readouts on conductivity, flow and temperature. It saves me invaluable time and it's certainly worth every penny.

Dan

Just a quickie.
What's wrong with tmc lighting on a marine tank? I've seen some amazing tanks with tmcs on.

Tanks looking great by the way. Very very nice. I'd be proud of that in my living room.
And if I do say so, definitely deserves a mention on the ukaps Facebook page

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
That's fast mate, my pockets are not deep enough for that kinda turn over. Looks great though mate!!
Cheers :) Mine aren't either realy but I get bored too often so need to try something new, I reckon 3-4 tank changes per year ;)

My pockets are deep, but empty all the time..
Great tank Dann
Thanks Martin :)

Just a quickie.
What's wrong with tmc lighting on a marine tank? I've seen some amazing tanks with tmcs on.

Tanks looking great by the way. Very very nice. I'd be proud of that in my living room.
And if I do say so, definitely deserves a mention on the ukaps Facebook page
Colour rendition, price, controllability, power, almost any marine spec lighting is better! However the V2 luminaire on the other hand is a great product ;)

Don't think my tank is good enough to go on there yet, still need to grow the stem plants more and keep on top and properly trim the mosses then maybe :)

What are your rescape plans in July
Either to incorporate one of my many bonsai trees in with the scape or to use black lava rock, and use natural looking plants. Still not sure yet...

Back