• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

overtank lighting options for new tank

James Flexton

Hi All,

ive just ordered a new tank 101x41x41 open top and brace less. i want hanging lights over the top but have to make sure i have enough light for my needs.

the tank will be high tech planted, co2 high light plants and ideally lots of hc carpet etc.. so i need powerful lighting to ensure compact growth down at the bottom of the tank.

i was thinking 4x54w 900mm t5's but am open to suggestions.
will that give me enough or is there another option.
i have had led suggested to me but i dismissed it immediately as i assume these will be far less powerful than t5's. am i correct?

any suggestions welcome.

thanks

Slight change of plan since this morning. I've altered the tank order and made it 30cm tall, going for an emersed rock scape. So given that it's only 30 cm deep what sort of overhead lighting should I be looking for? Ideally I want something either wall mounted that I can raise or lower or mounted on a stand similar to James's videos at the green machine.

And on a budget somewhat. Within reason. Any suggestions?

That looks great tim, one question I can't quite see the top of the hanger, how did you get the lights to hang centrally over the tank. It looks like the hanger is behind the tank hence the luminaire would be hanging over the rear glass pane rather than central to the tank.

Hi James, the hanger is central attached to the cabinet with 19mm electric conduit brackets (wickes) the wire is looped round the light and attached to hooks that slide onto the rail. All pond solutions do a wire set for suspending their lights. Hope this makes sense :lol: I can offer more pics in a couple of weeks as the tanks down at the moment awaiting a house move next week I'll post some pics up when I get round to rebuilding the frame if you'd like.

Back