• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please can you identify these aquatic plants

tortoise

Seedling
Went to the pet store to get some aquatic plants, not sure what their requirements but here they are.

My tank is 12gallons with liquid fert, sand substrate with root tabs, co2 liquid and 25w light.

Please can you help identify these aquatic plants

thanks

1)one right infront of the camera

243f6kp.jpg

2)in the background with the big stem and some leave pointing up. The stem doesnt seem to have roots how will this grow?
wv4m85.jpg

3)with the big leaves right at the front, sorry couldnt get full angle, plants are blocking it the other sides
ri8a45.jpg

1. looks like water sprite/ Ceratopteris thalictroides

2. Does not look like an aquatic plant, better off potting it up in a potting mix on the windowsill.

3. Might be Anubias, do not bury the rhizome (the long tuber looking stem where the leaves grow out of) if it is. But the edging of the leaf is making me doubt if it is actually an anbuias or not. You may want to search it on google.

thanks for the help, i think 1) is water sprite. Have i planted it correctly? just stuck the bunch 2/3 inches deep into the sand

Can anyone else also confirm 2 and 3 are not aquatic?

Why do they do this at pet shops? Surely its illegal to sell non aquatic as aquatic.

For the water sprite I would have the crown (where the stems emerge from) sitting just on top of the substrate. Unless they clearly label the non aquatic plants as aquatic plants then I don't think it illegal, I might be wrong. But I know and am sure everyone would agree that it is a really irresponsible thing to do and certainly doesn't help their reputation.

Number 1 is Limnophila sessiflora. It will pretty much grow dumped in any old way. Number 2 is a Dracena, which will like a nice moist soil but not to the point of being immersed! Number 3, as mentioned before is a peace lily, which likes similar conditions to the Dracena.

Oh Limnophila Sessiflora! I was a little doubtful when I said water sprite due to the leaf shape but I knew it wasn't westeria, never thought about Limnophila Sessiflora! I stand corrected.

Why do they do this at pet shops?

The cynic in me says they do this so that when it goes toxic in your tank (you won't know it has because it all happens at the roots) you will likely shell out for a pile of medications you don't need to fix the thing you are unaware of. When everything dies because of it you will put it down to your inexperience, you then gut the tank and repurchase all your livestock. The hope is that you spend your money in the same shop that sold you the non-aquatic plant. Bad for you, good for the shop as it increases it sales.

Sorry to be a little "rude" here....but shops sell these non-aqutic plants for the one and only, same reason you buy them: They're cheap !!!!!;)

Back