• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Incpiria 400 litre Freshwater Aquariums

James O, The version I am going for is the Fresh Water version without the weir and the sump. The fresh water version has a dry weir which is described on the Eheim site as an "Integrated maintenance shaft (black glass) for hidden water inlet and electricity cables". It is in the center at the back of the aquarium. From the pictures on the Eheim website you can't see the "Integrated maintenance shaft (black glass) for hidden water inlet and electricity cables". but it definitely has one. The only place I have found that has this in stock is the Abyss Aquatic Warehouse in Stockport, which by the way is definitely worth a visit if you are ever in that neck of the woods. I have seen it twice now it is better looking than all the aquariums I have had so far. Two weeks to go! Can't wait!!:)[DOUBLEPOST=1404584562][/DOUBLEPOST]
Before you hit the 'buy' button it seems that Eheim's new Proxima aquariums are launching in September (in Germany at least).

https://www.eheim.com/de_DE/produkte/aquarien/suesswasser-aquarien

Hi I just looked at these and the biggest one they do in the Proxima is the 325 liter and they are all meant to be open top with pendant lighting which I am not keen on. Discus can sometimes get spooked and leap straight out of the tank:grumpy:

Last edited:
they are lovely looking tanks, very tidy and modern looking keeping it all clutter free. My only reservation would be the fact its drilled... but that is more because i like to rescape at least once a year and drilled tanks give you limited flexibility Im guessing you would be keeping it set up for the long term so not such an issue.

I also think discus look better in smaller numbers, they almost look cluttered in large numbers..?? but thats just me.

Skip the UG, im sure all the pictures ive seen of UG carpets have shopped' the carpet in :p
Monte Carlo goes well low tech, have it in my shrimp tanks in my sig if your want to see.. would a dense carpet plant make it hard to clean a discus tank though??

I found the biggest drawback to Amazonia powder is it turns to mud if you ever change your layout around, causes terribly cloudy water and dirty plants if disturbed second time round. Doubt ill ever use it again.

Either way steve i will be subscribing to the journal once you get it all going :)

And to get those small ones looking great you need to put a shi#load of food in the tank, and hope they grow out good. My advice has always been if you buy big ones you know what you get, if you buy small ones you never know what you will end up with. In situations with limited numbers buy as big as you can afford, you'll be happier in the end, like in the pic above, these weren't put in the tank and grown out, these where selected from a group of maybe hunderd or two hunderd.

I know what you mean, but I find buying adult discus takes all the fun out of it. I like a dozen small, to watch them grow. I bought a Fluval Osaka a few years back and it came with several adult discus. They were never particularly happy after the move, and despite a year of trying to match their exacting demands, i decided to let someone else take over. Their hiding if everything wasnt exactly right was a tad annoying. When you get a large group of youngsters, admittedly they wont all be show standard fish (not my bag anyway), but they are bold and fun to watch, quite happy to come to the surface for food, and will take it from the hand.

Hi Peaches, I agree 100% that buying large or fully grown adult discus takes the fun out of it, it takes all the mystery and challenge out of raising them from about two to three inches into adults, plus you get to see some natural pairing action going on...

I have bred Discus in Germany and in Hong Kong so I know how much work goes into getting the fry up to a few inches...it's virtually a full time job...

Cheers Steve[DOUBLEPOST=1406639773][/DOUBLEPOST]
Lots of people have their own views. I bred discus in bare bottomed tanks in Germany years ago and fed them on beef heart, white worms, bloodworms, flake, pellet as much variety as possible. Low light is good but high light is okay as long as they have some shadier places to go into to.

I think there is nothing better than seeing discus happy and shoaling in a quality planted tank. EOS.

http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/data/photos/43_1aquarium_discustank_fishtank.jpg
Can anyone tel me how to copy this picture from this thread into my new Journal 'The Full Monty - Coming Soon' I have tried with the original but it comes out fuzzy and smaller than this one...

Last edited:
Back