• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quest for the perfect corner creation - Resurrection

It's either going on a shelf behind the tank or in the cellar top with a chain around it and then just drilling through the wall. Both places have pros and cons
You need to do a bit of reading about the issues people have had when they have located their CO2 a long way from the tank. I think when they first just throw the system together they end up with completely uncontrollable CO2 bubble rate, ending up with nothing, too much or cycling between nothing and too much.

I think the issues is long lengths of CO2 tubing pressurising and depressurising, along with diffusers causing oscillating CO2 supply.

I think you need cylinder -> regulator -> solenoid valve -> the long connecting length of CO2 tubing from cellar/garage -> needle valve -> one way valve -> bubble counter -> diffuser.

The bits in green need to be as short as possible, any long lengths of CO2 piping in this areas causing issues. You might also want to consider the "long connecting length of CO2 tubing from cellar/garage" being made from something tougher than standard CO2 tubing, people have used copper pipe as well as 4/6mm rigid plastic pipe.

Thanks for the input Ian, yeah I was going to put it in the cellar directly below the tank but the cellar top drilled through the wall under the stairs will be less than 1 metre of Co2 pipe from reg>tank.
The pump has arrived today as well but is in the post office as I was out doing a weld test for a new job. Think I will set the startup date of the tank/planting for the 12th Sept as I'm holiday again before then and would like to see the tank everyday for the first month.
Matt.

Startup date has been moved to next weekend, finish work at 11am on Fridays now so I'll have Friday Saturday and Sunday to do the scape. Going to get the plants ordered to collect on Friday and the only other thing I need to order is some nutrients. If anybody has any ideas on some nice plants feel free to input.
Monte Carlo as the carpet plant. Some Rotala Macrandra for a bit of a colour change and I've read it's a good indicator.
Alternathera reineckii mini as it's a bit more colour while staying small.
Weeping Moss
Selection of crypts
Barteri nana bonsai

Just a quick photo of the wood in the tank to take the rest of the tannins out.
Think I'll be chopping it down so it sits lower and makes more space for planting. Only about 5 fish left in the tank to keep the filter going until I start the scape.
2eec39c4e881c6aa57cf3305c96798b5.jpg

Last edited:
Right, plants ordered and also found out I don't need to run ro water due to the fact my PH is 6.5 after 24 hrs and tds ranges from 75-95.
Plants so far are,
Redmoor Root Wood
Rotala macrandra
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Taxiphyllum sp. 'Spiky' moss
Rotala 'Bonsai'
Staurogyne repens
And I also intend on getting a selection of crypts..

Thanks!
Can't wait for the planting! There on route via dpd and will be here tomorrow! Expect a lot of photo updates :D

It ended up 2 foot away through a wall in the cellar top! Haha
818a450201f03e6cac885707e0f67c1f.jpg

I can see myself working into the night! Stocked up on two lovely 14 inch pizzas nom nom nom! Plants are here and very well packed, not opened them yet though as I'll do then when I'm at that stage! Will be starting the inside in the next hour or two!

Update on same post because I'm good like that.
Got wood? With wood?
1d207c796436df56c6cfcce3addc5d2b.jpg

I like to think, dead old wood, with a new life sprouting from within.

Last edited:
Wooow.

If that is your needle valve bubble counter in the cellar, is it not going to a pain in A to adjust CO2 ?

When I couldn't make use of my plants for a couple of days (arrived Tuesday, not planted till Sunday) I put them in the fridge and the "in vitro" ones placed on a window sill, with dib dabs of water. All survived fine.

I can adjust the co2 with the bubble counter next to it. Then it goes straight into the tank on the other side of the hole. I shall do that now, even if it's for a few hours!
It's also in the corner of the kitchen, the door to the cellar, so real eat to get to.

Last edited:
I suspect, though I wait to be proved wrong, you will have CO2 rate control issues. The length of tube from needle valve to CO2 diffuser needs to be as short as possible, which is why people who remotely locate their CO2 cylinder and regulator have another needle valve located on the side of their tank.

However, you have no livestock, so out of control CO2, whilst experimenting and setting up won't be an issue.

I may switch it round so it's on the side of the tank then, and get my brother to help set up with a metronome to count bubbles. I did read you post but I though overall length. It's 2. 5 foot from cylinder to water.

So first I painted the back of the tank, looks a million times better, black board chalk paint works a treat!
Then I put some gravel up the back so anything I planted wouldn't have to grow as high to get past the wood. Then put a breathable sheet over it to keep it separate.
277b3e8a51a79b81a1d791fc8749aff7.jpg

Now the jbl volcanic rock on top of the sheet.
0b6d72f7abb8d29c79c5c62ea8ec1ecf.jpg

Then the tropica and the sansibar.
2c6c827a9f4710c0832f2737e3e3f36d.jpg

I think I'm going to cut the wood and turn the tree a little more to the left if I can.
9d0cddd0f64fcf45283c24bf0b8e6592.jpg

1673ac840b6aec54ab5265ddf69a0f4f.jpg

I'll take some more photos tomorrow when it's settled.

I know I've probably made a ton of schoolboy errors in setting the tank up, but it's been a big learning curve, and after spending almost 12 hours emptying the tank, cleaning everything and painting etc I'm still in love!
Super scared about all the what ifs but I'm sure I'll get there!
Starting the light period for 6 hours. And shall be doing daily water changes... Oh the joy!

Constructive criticism welcome, even if you come to slate me! I'll take everything on board because this might be my first ever scape but if definitely won't be the last!
Much love!
Goodnight.

Edit.
On the side of the tank now.
369d2b2094861d606b07f1a7fbe6e83c.jpg

Last edited:
Just an update today after its all settled!
4dbb3269068552b4bc167251a022efe4.jpg

e8f3c2a4a77cf231fc7a2b1191ca8fac.jpg

Update,
Just done today's water change and there was biofilm all over the wood so shrimps are going in next week!
c6acf37ba193b977837c1373c251cd21.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah been going for almost a year now. Thanks for your concern though!
Common Ian! Tell me what you think, good or bad I want to know! :D

Thanks! I need to alter it so it tilts a bit more to the left. Just in front of the tree to the right a touch I have some annubis bonsai. Yeah I've left all the rear free from plants at the minute to see what the flow would be like but will add some more plants in when I start dosing ei ferts. So happy the plants have actually taken though aha! Bloody nerve racking!

Tell me what you think, good or bad I want to know!
Well I have a nice corner in my lounge this tank would look the biz, when are you delivering :D

However you have made one major miscalculation, easily expressed mathematically to show you in fact what will happen.

You are shortly expecting the following.
Expected_zpsb035a9f4.png

But you haven't noticed that the first term on the right hand side is in fact infinite, and will be for about 18 years.

This term expands to
Actual_zps10115006.png

leaving no room for the final term in the first equation...:rolleyes:

Back