• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

drying ada substrate

glenn farrar

Hi guys I have just purchased a second hand tank (thanks Bape) which has some ADA power sand and ADA aquasoil in it, the substrate is still wet and I would like to dry it out so as to make it easier for me to scape with it and also so I don't get any nasties starting to grow in it as I will not be using it for a while. I have read that some of you oven it to dry so I wanted to know if it is going to be ok all mixed into each other and if baking it would affect its performance?
If it is ok to bake it I presume you just spread it out fairly thin and cook it on a low heat until dry?

Thanks

Glenn

I dried excess JBL substrate in oven at 70'C for an hour in a baking tray coated with aluminum foil.

When used in tank no different than when new.

I've spread it out in my kids paddling pool on a hot summers day worked a treat. I've also used a cat litter tray placed in the airing cupboard also worked well.

Thanks guys as I don't have a conservatory I think I will use the airing cupboard method

@stuworrall how would I go about separating the power sand and if I could separate it why not reuse it?

Thanks

in theory its usually exhausted after about a month and done its job in the old tank so it will be plain old pummice by now. I usually use a scoop to separate the power sand by scraping the top layer soil off. If its already mixed then a sieve may do it

Ok thanks I presume the appearance of the separate substrates will become apparent when I start to scoop it out? I am totally new to all this and have never seen the stuff before.

Ok thanks I presume the appearance of the separate substrates will become apparent when I start to scoop it out? I am totally new to all this and have never seen the stuff before.
yep, youll spot the power sand layer as it will change colour to a lighter shade with white pummice in.

Ah ok thanks for the info I would have just dug the lot out and launched it all in a pot to dry!

Back