• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

slowly rising PH

popeye

Hi all

This is my first post.
After some advice. Over the past few months I have noticed my PH gradually increasing from 7.1 to 8.4 (Aquatronica, regularly calibrated) and nothing has ever been changed in the tank.
My system is fed via a drip feed constant water change setup and incoming PH is 7.
The only thing I have changed is my return feed from a 90 degree bend to a duckbill which I think maybe has been causing quite a restriction to my tank turnover. Could this be the cause?

Thanks all. Popeye

Thanks for your reply.

No not that I know of. My KH is 5 and GH is 11

I was wondering that, what hard scape and substrate do you have? Else it must be down to what your dosing. Are you 100% sure that your tap water is as you say neutral?

Also what's your temperature? If it's really warm then co2 deficiency could be messing with the PH? Hard to know without knowing all the parameters involved with this tank.

Hi thanks.

I have only just added a few plants and started dosing since yesterday. Tank is 27c as I have some discus. Yes Defenatly 7, checked and double checked with a couple of other checkers other than my Aquatronica.
Dosing Neutro T and Neutro co2 just as per instructions but not sure if this is enough.
Tank volume 550lt with sump

Sorry just some wood, not sure what type and my substrate is JBL Manado.
Bog wood been in there for a year or so but not had this problem for that long.

The substrate is new but PH was same before this was introduced. Maybe It's coincidence, I will just have to go with it for a while and see what happens. my KH and GH are not high however!

been advised that it could be my filter media as it was the case before the substrate was changed. My filter media is Sera Siporax professional.
Anyone had there filter media effect PH over time?

Thanks

Hi all,
If your tank wasn't planted? and now it is? You may find it is just to do with changes in the amount of dissolved oxygen in the tank water.

Try taking the pH early in the morning, before the lights come on. In that case it would have more dissolved CO2 (which will depress pH).

As the plants start photosynthesising they will both drive CO2 levels down and add dissolved oxygen to the tank water. Because oxygen is the base in OH-, it will cause the pH to rise.

Have a look at this thread <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/maxing-co2-in-low-techs.29856/page-3#post-329612>
5cxa.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back