• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Effects of too little light

Purely for educational reasons, I would like to inform anyone else that stumbles upon this thread, that the GroBeam 600 was set at 30% and 50cm from the substrate at the beginning. This caused the plants not to grow and at some point melt. After inspecting all other possibilities I was left with no other choice but to increase the light intensity and i gradually did, reaching 100% intensity. Now I am lowering the light fixture by 5cm and I am at 45cm from the substrate. I will stop lowering it as soon as I see healthy plant growth.

Thanks

Very similar experience with the same light and same tank size when I started. The only plants just about growing(ish) were anubias and crypts. I've ended up with a Grobeam 1500 @ 100%*. Very happy with the health of my plants as a result of the increased light level.

(*I'm not recommending anyone else use this amount of light as a benchmark or magic formula on their own tank - it just worked for me)

Different plants need a different amou
Hello

I was wondering what symptoms would one see if the light in your planted aquarium is too little?

Thanks

There's a limit when certain plants just don't survive with the amount of light given, don't grow, intermittently melt and eventually die, which can take, depending on the species, from weeks to months. And there's a limit when they do grow but they are literally disfigured, grow in an unhealthy shape, smaller leaves, loss of colour, dropping bottom leaves, and again melting, etc.. Which I think is called "leggy" growth. So light is not the enemy. It is imperative that, depending on species, they get their deserved share.

Honestly, just do your thing, experiment the way you like and form your own opinion because this hobby has turned out to be a political science, or some sort of fashion.

Interesting thread, and dare I say it...an informative one too:geek: It seems that the causal effects of too little light are often over shadowed by those to do with CO2, flow, and distribution.
And also just for the sake of contention:eek: I also like SF's final line above; especially the comment regards political science...:p

Interesting thread, and dare I say it...an informative one too:geek: It seems that the causal effects of too little light are often over shadowed by those to do with CO2, flow, and distribution.
And also just for the sake of contention:eek: I also like SF's final line above; especially the comment regards political science...:p
Me too
Theres still not too much info on par and leds. I seem to remember telling jaap to start at 30% power 10cm from the water. I guess that puts my guess somewhere in the ball park.
Im not disputing clives methods but sometimes i feel he misses the fact that some peoples lighting is already quite low and always recommends it be lowered further. I lowered the lighting in the cube and some of the plants suffered.
Which leads nicely back to...
Honestly, just do your thing, experiment the way you like and form your own opinion because this hobby has turned out to be a political science, or some sort of fashion.
We learn from our mistakes, so the more mistakes we make the better we become

Hi all,
It will depend a little bit how much natural light your tanks get, but particularly if they are open topped, ambient light is going to play a part in plant growth in most situations.

Sun-light is incredibly bright, even in the shade on a bright day in the summer you are getting about 10,000 lux in the shade, 60,000 lux in the sun, and as you approach the equator potentially at least double that .

You can compare this with room lighting, where 500 lux is quite a brightly lit room, and bright moonlight is about 1 lux.

Because I always have "jungles", I do very little intervention in terms of pruning etc., and my tanks are fairly nutrient poor, the amount of plant growth I have gives a measure of the amount of PAR.

At the moment my 2 x 2' tanks both have 2 x 24W T5 fittings, so reasonably high light in a "no added CO2/low nutrient" situation. The only regular pruning activities I do are to remove dead leaves and thin out the floaters.

If I don't thin out the floaters in the autumn (from approx. 3/4 coverage down to ~ 1/3) the planted plants will begin to undergo leaf death, because leaves that are now below light compensation point will be shed. This process will continue through the darker months, with I'd estimate tank plant biomass about 1/3 lower in the winter than the summer.

cheers Darrel

I would like to inform everyone that is interested in this thread that the problem was indeed too little light. The effects are not completely similar but are very very close.

If someone has low co2 then you see melting and plenty of it but as soon as you up the co2 all is fine.

If someone has too little light then you see no growth and very little melting as well as pale plants or dark leaved plants due to the high amounts of chlorophyll they produce to utilise the very little light given to them.

The effects are similar and can be mixed up but I believe someone with more experience than I have could have caught that earlier and easier than I did.

Maybe someone would have caught it earlier if mention was made earlier of the lighting/PAR or type of fixture.
Questions were more regarding symptoms of inadequate light rather than description of the lighting being used.
Was not until the end of this thread that mention was made of particular fixture.

Maybe someone would have caught it earlier if mention was made earlier of the lighting/PAR or type of fixture.
IMO we are still far away from standard reference values for LED lighting (due probably to different LED types used, number of LEDs in the fixture, lenses used, few PAR readings, etc.)... and this is a problem for the hobbyist. In other words, although we know "watts per liter/gallon" is not an accurate reference, it is indeed a rule of thumb that let you know in which level of lighting you are. A quick search on the internet would be enough for the newbie to know if his/her T8, T5HO or metal halide lighting is low, medium or high. Additionally this light level is in our minds linked to a kind of setup (C enriched tank, non enriched, need of intensive fertilization, etc.). The only variation in this interpretation is the number of units and distance from bulb to bottom. Most of us don't own a PAR meter and we are still able to understand what we have or what we buy. Unfortunately, with LED fixtures there are other parameters with a huge influence on the light output: type of LED, lenses, if it is dimmed, distribution of LED, etc. and the difference of any of these combinations seems enormous to be able to provide a rule of thumb. For this reason it really amazes me that most of light suppliers (lots of them very well known ones, not just chinese) do NOT inform about PAR readings of their fixtures... isn't it incredible? They sell lights! Imagine you are a car seller and you wouldn't inform your customers about the power of the car :confused: You'd just say "Yes, it goes fast, and it is red ... Pardon? The power? I will ask the factory engineers, but... look the seats are very comfortable!"

I miss a kind of calculator asking the user basic things such as nº of leds, type of leds, consumption, if there are lenses, aquarium depth, etc. to give just a rough feedback saying "you have high light, you'd better provide a source of C and ensure good filtering"

Jordi

The reason they don't put out PAR readings is because that is a measurement at source. They have no way of knowing where your source is or what barriers there are.

i.e. if they said PAR without lenses @ 3ft = 150 we would then need to know what about 2ft, 1.5ft, 1ft. What about with 10,20,30,45,60,90,120 degree lenses. What about through water etc.

They give you lumens because that is a measure of the output of the lamp, not a measure of light received at a set distance but the amount of visible light it is outputting (or at least is supposed to be outputting)

A long time ago I wrote about LED comparisons to the WPG and this was based on the cheapo luxeon copies from china ebay sellers. If the WPG rule is based on T8 W=1WPG then:
T5HO = 1.2WPG
T5NO = 1.3WPG
LED=1.5WPG

I would suggest when you are using top quality LEDs that it would be higher but I have no growing problems using 0.5WPG of cheapo LEDs over non CO2 tanks apart from leggy stems whereas with T8 I would need to be getting closer to the 1WPG area.

Its crude its basic but it won't be that far off.

Hi all,
It will depend a little bit how much natural light your tanks get, but particularly if they are open topped, ambient light is going to play a part in plant growth in most situations.

Sun-light is incredibly bright, even in the shade on a bright day in the summer you are getting about 10,000 lux in the shade, 60,000 lux in the sun, and as you approach the equator potentially at least double that .

You can compare this with room lighting, where 500 lux is quite a brightly lit room, and bright moonlight is about 1 lux.

Because I always have "jungles", I do very little intervention in terms of pruning etc., and my tanks are fairly nutrient poor, the amount of plant growth I have gives a measure of the amount of PAR.

At the moment my 2 x 2' tanks both have 2 x 24W T5 fittings, so reasonably high light in a "no added CO2/low nutrient" situation. The only regular pruning activities I do are to remove dead leaves and thin out the floaters.

If I don't thin out the floaters in the autumn (from approx. 3/4 coverage down to ~ 1/3) the planted plants will begin to undergo leaf death, because leaves that are now below light compensation point will be shed. This process will continue through the darker months, with I'd estimate tank plant biomass about 1/3 lower in the winter than the summer.

cheers Darrel
That's a heck of a lot of light, I did something similar a while back (2x24W T5) it worked surprisingly well, I got amazing growth rates, for a low-energy. No fertz, just soil, so most of the nutrients were in the substrate feeding big root feeders, but after 3 months or so I found different types of algae creeping in...but it was nothing unmanageable.

The observation about ambient light and biomass/growth is interesting...I've always thought that it's this that forms the basis for Diana Walstad's theory regarding the siesta period, which has come under a lot of criticism...

In the case of my tank there is probably enough ambient daylight to maintain photosynthesis during the siesta period - especially since it has an open top - all be it at a slower rate and perhaps somewhere around the compensation point. So it's not necessarily a costly stop-start process.

So under those circumstances perhaps the siesta period gives plants the long day length they require, whilst allowing CO2 regeneration - so when the light comes back on plants can photosynthesise more effectively and efficiently.

With regards the inhibition of algae, again in a low-energy tank, I suppose the theory is based on the supposition that algae is more efficient at taking up CO2. Therefore, algae gains an advantage over higher plants when CO2 concentration drops during the afternoon. Once again, the siesta period supposedly redresses this problem by allowing CO2 regeneration.

The reason they don't put out PAR readings is because that is a measurement at source. They have no way of knowing where your source is or what barriers there are.
i.e. if they said PAR without lenses @ 3ft = 150 we would then need to know what about 2ft, 1.5ft, 1ft. What about with 10,20,30,45,60,90,120 degree lenses. What about through water etc.
Yes, I agree it is much more complex than just giving a number, but I am sure there are other ways of showing this information... For example: http://www.prirodni-akvarium.cz/en/index.php?id=en_measurement
Some reference underwater readings (without water it makes no sense for aquarium), for the standard size of tank for which the fixture is built, with the lenses used in the fixture you are buying and at 4-5 depths should be more than enough.
Afterwards if the customer decides to put a lid, has a deeper tank, wants to put the light higher or dim it... well, he/she should know the PAR value will be lower.

Maybe another reason for not communicating this is because most of the customers really don't care about what they are buying. You know, outside this one and a limited number of forums and websites, statements like "the more light the better", "the right spectrum for growing plants" and other similar ones are still prevalent. So suppliers just keep saying "look it is red and seats are comfortable"

Jordi

There are articles about ambient light out of the photoperiod interfering with nature. I read one that said that any light outside of the photoperiod that gets to the plants can interfere with the way the plants grow. i.e. don't get a proper rest at night.

I read a recent article the other day that was talking about modern humans moods being affected by them not getting proper full darkness during their sleep due to outside lighting coming through curtains even saying you shouldn't charge your phone or have illuminated clock radios next to your bed.

Maybe another reason for not communicating this is because most of the customers really don't care about what they are buying. You know, outside this one and a limited number of forums and websites, statements like "the more light the better", "the right spectrum for growing plants" and other similar ones are still prevalent. So suppliers just keep saying "look it is red and seats are comfortable"

That is the main reason Jordi. You answered your own question. Same as electrical manufacturers that are inventing things to make statements about their new product..i.e. TVs so that they can suggest you need it.

Similarly you should only use T5HO if you are wanting to utilise space saving. The same amount of watts in a T5NO give out more light and are more efficient. You need more tubes to get that wattage but you will get more light for the watts. i.e. If you have 2 T5HO tubes that total 50W You would need roughly 3 T5NO tubes to get to 50W but you would have more output in terms of light for the same wattage. That doesn't sell high end T5HO units though and people became (and still are to a degree) obsessed with the HO part. It is only really relevant for space saving when you needs loads of tubes.

Last edited:
Yep I think it's been well known for some time. As an example, fighter pilots on night duty perform significantly better if they sleep in total blackout conditions during the day...

Hi all,
The observation about ambient light and biomass/growth is interesting...I've always thought that it's this that forms the basis for Diana Walstad's theory regarding the siesta period, which has come under a lot of criticism...
I have the tanks all on a 12 hour day. When I set them up originally I did have a siesta period, so they came on about 07:00 and went off at 21:00 with a 2 hour siesta around midday. Eventually I decided the siesta didn't make any difference, so now they are on from 07:30 to 19:30.
In the case of my tank there is probably enough ambient daylight to maintain photosynthesis during the siesta period
It definitely would in the tanks in the lab., and probably the ones in my kitchen.

I'm not too concerned about having "too much" light, I'm not interested in aquascaping etc. so for me more light intensity just equals more plants.

cheers Darrel

I showed some of these pictures before I've taken of my plants. My 5f tank is very diverse in light amount due to the emersed plants so see how some of the same species cope under different lights.

Ludwiga in a well lit area of the same tank:
LudwigaLight_zpsfc8b5636.jpg

And can you see the ludwiga stalk in the middle, next to the anubias? Lack of growth it's not its only problem I am afraid, and it was planted a few weeks before the above ludwiga but just gets very little light in there.
LudwigaOvershadowed_zps1dea5077.jpg

And these two pictures I actually posted last year. First one healthy aponogeton grown in a well lit area of the same tank:
HealthyAponogeton_zps28dc93d4.jpg

Second aponogeton, grown in a shaded area, thiner and brittle leaves, with melting blotches. Wish I had taken a better picture but those two were the longest leaves of the plant I could pull out of the water for the picture at the same water level as the above picture, both pics taken a minute apart. The two aponogetons on these pictures were planted just 30cm apart in the same tank on the exact same day, from the same pot.
DamagedAponogeton_zps5221c72e.jpg

I've got some more but it the thread will get clogged :)

My lights are as follows:
48x3w crees
Channel 1 16x3w 6400k Cree
Channel 2 16x3w 10k care
Channel 3 13x3w 300-450 cree
Channel 4 3x3w moonlight Cree.

I previously had channel 1 on 40%
2 - 20%
3 - 10%
4 - off
This was ok then had a boom of bba..

Then I turned them down even lower and now all my pogostoman has died and read plants look like there dieing.
All that's ok is a stem plant not sure of its name and my tennulus looks ok to.

Could this be because of Not enough light?

I am fairly sure I have more then enough co2 in my tank. Dc yellowish and I have a good ph drop for lights on.

Last edited:
Back