• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60P - The Shimmering of Light

Hi Chris

I want to try in the coming setups working with wabi kusa. I first saw this technique in ADA videos and it looks like it works very well as you achieve very high biomass very quickly. Nevertheless I wonder if the sphagnum is the best option for wrapping the balls as it is not an true aquatic moss... Have you tried it before? As fas as I know, ADA wabi kusa balls are just a stone and aquasoil wrapped with a net, so materials that afterwards will perfectly merge with the setup.
Looks promising your tank, congrats. And of course subscribed!

Jordi

:) Thank you Jordi

that's not correct as far as I know... ADA is using no soil at all in their WK.
I found a Webpage where a "karen" (the small Wabi Kusa Version) was torn apart:

http://pxyg.blog50.fc2.com/blog-entry-1959.html

It's some sort of gras/hay in combination with moss and Stones...
I mixed this combination with soil, only because of the fertilizers... by doing this I only had to use RO water.
Plant growth was superb!

But take care with the amount of soil used... for 2 Wabi Kusa I used A LOT more of the Amazonia and those were the ones who started to get a Little bit of mold.
I solved it by attaching a Little bit of sphaghnum on the outside and watering them only from the bottom. This worked quite well.

Cheers,
Chris

Hmm, interesting. Would you call your composition U-shape or island?
Looking at your wood I was under impression you're after an island. Now I see you put your stem wabikusa into U-position. Interesting to see how it will grow over time.

Hmmm... I would say a mix of both.
I don't wanted to have the classical island or U-shape... but I liked both, so I looked at some nature aquariums Amano did and this was somehow my inspiration.
The wabi kusa in the background will be trimmed a little bit rounded (2 to 3) with an empty area a little bit away from the centre... that's the plan.

BTW: finished planting today!
While I'm writing these lines water is running into the tank :happy:

IMG_0739_zpse5b9483b.jpg

IMG_0741_zps401d433c.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

How's the filling going Iceman? Can we get pics soon?

Btw great tank, I've been watching from the start and I'm sure it'll be a real winner once mature :thumbup:

How's the filling going Iceman? Can we get pics soon?

Btw great tank, I've been watching from the start and I'm sure it'll be a real winner once mature :thumbup:

Thank you sir ;)

Filling went well... was a long night.
Thank god the wabi ks didn't float up :D

The water is still a little bit cloudy this morning because I didn't wash the sand before putting it into the tank :(

IMG_0752_zpsdbfabeba.jpg

IMG_0761_zps17a25dcc.jpg

Last edited:
Growth kicked in quite well... So far everything is looking good.
Will provide some better photos later on...

Sunrise in paradise:

100_2245_zps24f5e371.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo quality... next thing I need to buy... DSLR!

Edit: As promised, here the better Quality pics.

100_2255_zpse22f01fa.jpg

100_2265_zpsb4c23010.jpg

100_2259_zps83c6ef1c.jpg

100_2262_zpsf70f902a.jpg

100_2270_zps6418da91.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:
Again, thanks guys :happy:

Thanks Edwin... Manten "shimmers" quite extreme... I think it will fit perfectly after the background has grown bigger.
The different colors of the Rotala mix will be colourful, too... at least that's the plan.

Lets see how good it will work out in the end. Sometimes real live doesn't match the theory o_O
Now it's too late to change the stones ;)

Cheers
Chris

Back