• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New adventure with biorb

Italicus

Hello

Due to me moving to another country, I abandoned this hobby almost 5 years ago, but I couldn't resist any longer so I finally got a new tank.

It's a biorb baby, not the best tank you van find, but it was free and as student every little helps.

Now, the main problem is the filtration. The bowl has an air filter, and the gravel at the bottom is part of it. Putting gravel in it means blocking the filter. My solution was to put dirt in half of the tank (going for natural style) and keeping the stones in the other half. Now it looks like a pokeball.

As landscape, I'm thinking to put an anubias Nana between the gravel and earth, so that it can attach to the rocks, just behind it a cryptocoryne or other plant with big leaves and cover the rest of the dirt with eleocharis.

What do you think?
Suggestions or ideas?

I'm thinking to do a dry start, so please suggest me some plant that can grow emersed. :)
36f8d58867ef5ebba6caf825694e6ef8.jpg

I started with planting some eleocharis, how long does it take for it to start growing?
b1de10484388969ebb213de0bcd25398.jpg

I removed the Java fern, my shop sold me just leaves, no rhizome or roots, quite angry about that

You not capping the dirt??

Hairgrass does a lot better with co2

Hairgrass will need lighting much better than biorb standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I decided to try not capping it, I washed it a couple of times and it doesn't make water dirty anymore.

I was hoping to use natural sunlight as addiction to the lamp, it will get sun every mornings.
Kinda, it's London after all.

I think your asking for algae issues and perhaps water quality issues with the uncapped dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I'm trying a dry start, I putted the leaves in a glass vase on my window, hope it's enough to make new plants grow

Thank you for the offer, I will gladly take it in the future if the leaves just die. :)

Today I returned the leaves to the shop and took an actual plant, with rhizome and roots.

I putted it in place.

Humidity is very high and I increased the light, the one from the biorb is not very strong.

I hope now to see the eleocharis and the microsorum grow a little in the next week or so

Quick update, it seems the eleocharis is expanding as I can see small plants starting to grow all around the one I planted

But the old one pretty much looks the same.

Humidity is very high, and there is a lot of water at the base, I'll try to suck it away and lower water level.

The microsorum seems doing fine, but it has been in there only for 2 days now, no noticeable growth

I think I'm seeing one leaf growing, but it may be wishful thinking.
In any case, the plant is in very high humidity, and doesn't show signs of decay, which is good.

The eleocharis is growing strong, more and more plants are growing, and given the success i decided to plant the rest of the eleocharis that I was keeping in a vase with water, just in case.

I'm not in a rush to fill the tank, so I will keep it dry until December I think, or until the eleocharis covers the whole dirt anyway.

Took some photos, this is how the tank looks like now (back view, only spot I can see through)
And I also added a close up of the eleocharis.

It doesn't look great at the moment to be honest, the old leaves of the eleocharis are not standing and laying around, but the new one are growing properly and not attached to each other

ffd49860360424aa4dc22e051914f4aa.jpg

cdc4c01060f5fa34404b06d6ff70de41.jpg

the java fern is growing new leaves, but 2 of the old one are starting to get dark and brownish, not a change that interest the whole leaf but as spots on the leaf growing, what do you guys think?

just normal adaptation to emerged conditions?

So today I went to the shop, looked around for shrimps, plants, fishes and, long story short
84c22c17665bd6d0997db4e7eec14d47.jpg

Couldn't resist anymore

Overall I'm very pleases for the results, the eleocharis is growing a lot, and on the sides of the tank I can see a quite nice root system, also the fern is growing, the aquascape, well I did what I could, the distortion caused from the orb is quite strong, it's quite tricky to create same thing appealing in it.

Regarding this moss, what do you guys think? Fissidens?
d4c8bdd1f819a34013fe2f51911be27f.jpg

Yeah it does look like Fissidens.

Sorry to say but the tank isn't really big enough for fish.

Back