• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thick white surface film

NC10

Hi all,

Since I've been running Co2 (a few weeks) I've noticed a white film. It's quite thick in that if I run my finger through it, it breaks up, or gathers up. Think thin ice on a lake sort of thing.

I'm running a sump and skimming the surface so it doesn't visually bother me and only gathers in the last compartment of the sump where there is no surface movement. All the fish are fine too, but just wondered why or what it was? I'm guessing it may be a bit more emphasised than a regular tank with the fact it's all concentrated in to one small space.

Just wondered if anyone had encountered a similar thing or knew what it was?

Cheers folks :D

my vote is 70% likely hydrophobic proteins 30% oil slick from various organic combinations in the tank, some good btb water changes to flush it out is ok, or not it doesnt sound harmful.

I do all still tanks with no circulation, so working with topslicks is common and nbd imo

Even if it doesn't visually bother you I think you should pay attention to this. Surface films (as explained in many threads) is the content of dead plant cells and plant waste. Injecting co2 is probably implying a faster growth rate (thus more waste) but check if this oily cell content comes from dead tissue from your plants.
Anyway this is organic waste on your tank that additionally is making more difficult a proper exchange of gas. Not always but I have noticed that this is a good signal for algae blooms... You could skim this surface film (Eheim surface skimmers are ally cheap) but this won't solve your problem and what is worse, you won't notice when you are suffering the problem, so you won't be able to adjust the setup.

Jordi

I raise my spray bar and that gets rid of it. Well from the surface, but where does it go then? Hopefully my canister filter!

I ran air line during the night and that clears up the film. Or place a piece of kitchen towel on the surface to soak it up. Or even better prevent it in the first place by improving CO2 distribution, to prevent plants dying, which I did with a power head.

Thanks for the replies.

My vote goes for hydrophobic proteins too :nailbiting: :D

I've encountered the oily film before in some of my tanks, but never a thick white one like this, just thought I'd ask. At least I know what it is now :thumbup:

I do a 50% weekly water change and it's straight back the next day once it's had time to settle out of the water column so I'm not worried about it. Like I mentioned though, it probably looks worse as 300+ litres worth is cramped into around a12" x 12" surface area. I feed beef heart too, obviously high in protein, but I'm not sure if that's how it works?? More protein equals more scared protein? :D

One thing that is unusual (and another reason I asked in the first place) is that I only notice it when the Co2 is off. I'll check again today to make sure, but I'm sure it clears up once the Co2 kicks in. It's there now anyway with it off. I'll have a look later this afternoon to see if I'm just imagining things :hungover:

Cheers

Edit: I was indeed imagining things, it's still there :D

Last edited:
Back