• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hope not just another H2O2 question.

I think it looks great. You have a nice carpet for sure. I can see people are ribbing you pretty hard for the gourami in a small tank, but I have a different take especially since I keep a fish in a half gallon :)

If you can feed him as he would normally eat in a larger tank and keep the water changes in this one, pretty much any aquarium is insulting compared to not being in a free swimming lake or river and I see you said there is another tank you can move him to

Regarding the interplay of detritus as we had discussed, this tank will certainly accumulate waste if given enough time, months and years, it is new enough that the clean factor is holding strong in spite of low export.

It is true as you mentioned that changing only top water remove dissolved organic compounds in that water, but the solid waste produced and sitting in the system will gradually increase the doc making water changes needed more often, this will reveal in time as the tank ages and is a function of having accumulated detritus and decomposing compounds. Oil slicks w become more noticeable in time

Any tank that is a few mos old looks cleaner than it does at five yrs old for example, and thats the kind of time frame needed to see if a balance has been created where the keeper doesn't move any detritus around but the tank stays free of it through self balance.

The substrate, if tested, will indicate detrital organic loading through location specific bubbling just as mentioned if thats ever tested and photographed. Compared with a peroxide injected handful of new substrate not exposed to detritus holding it will bubble markedly, giving further indication of detritus not readily apparent to the naked eye

Any small tank with a catch and hold substrate design and some fish will indicate that as well. Some of the fish waste is landing and staying within that carpet as it degrades into smaller particles its just the tank isn't old enough to register an accumulation yet. Still looks nice and clean! We simply have a very new tank in the easy work phase and thats an enjoyable time for any tank. If the tank goes un exported for a couple years things w be different. Update in 2016 if you can

Looks great man I'm jealous of your nice even carpet.
B

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments Mate. I agree with you. there is no way I can go with this tank and no water changes for more than a few months. But a water change every couple of months is a big leap (to me) compared to water changes every week.

I honestly still believe that if you have the right conditions the imput which is food could be in equilibrium with the decomposition and you would only have to take out some plant matter every now and then. Ideally there could be such a variety of bacteria that they take care of all the organic compounds. The input of food has to be slow enough though and oxygen levels have to be kept good.

With regards to the thread of the tank, I think most people just feel heroically excited when they get into philosophical bits like keeping fish in small space. while they dont consider other things like if you put more agressive fish and they beat up the other ones killing them in the end, or water conditions etc. I wouldnt have put that gourami in there if I had had better conditions though.

In the end I think we tend repeat just what we read, without thinking sometimes, and I honestly think those people should stop and think that that fish might not be any more sad than a honey gourami in another tank.

I wont do the h2o2 test to the carpet cause I am 100% sure its going to bubble hehe.

By the way, the trick to keeping a nice carpet I think is: If you have very high light (which I think you might) and you dont wanna lower it, then use a co2 atomizer, good flow that you can see bubbles going over it, good ferts and most importantly are the water changes (yes I know, I dont do them) because ammonia is the main cause of algae.

Back