• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DISASTER HELP

Kam Sandhu

Hi

I really need some help.

I hav3 removed my internal filter in my Rio 180 to be replaced by a fluval 406.

In have set it up, but there is a leak by the rubber foot.

Now I have no filtration, what do I do?

I bought the filter of eBay so will take time to get it replaced.

Do more frequent water changes, turn off your lights and stop feeding until you recover.

Cheers,

Well either the canister is cracked and leaking or you have a leaking seal somewhere.

I have put together my JBL1501 occasionally with either plant detritus in the seal or twisted the seal between the canister and pump head. In my case the water slowly leaks and trickles down the outside "legs" and appears as a puddle underneath, you may have done something similar with the seal between the pump head and canister.

To check for canister leaks, put it in a bowl in kitchen sink (no media of course), fill with tap water and see if it leaks.

Just put the filter on some tissue paper and it's getting wet. Definitely leaking by the rubber feet.

Got to wait till Monday or Tuesday for a replacement.

I'll be doing daily water changes until then.

Do you have a power head just for some flow and surface agitation. Will help a lot....

strip the filter down and find the leak , if there is a crack in the canister seal with fish safe silicone

Leaking at the rubber feet was a common problem on the 405 model, I thought they had sorted it out with the 406 model though.

On my 405 I just put a load of silicone in the bottom of the canister then sat the whole canister in a lunch box filled with silicone. doesn't leak any more.

Did you but it second hand or new?

It was brand new, I managed to get the canister swapped over and all is good now.

Thank you all for your help.

Are they meant to be silent? Mines hums like a boiler would when the heating is on. I have shaken/ rocked it to dispel all the air, but it just hums away.

I was thinking about putting some silicone grease on the impeller shaft and cover?

It was brand new, I managed to get the canister swapped over and all is good now.

Thank you all for your help.

Are they meant to be silent? Mines hums like a boiler would when the heating is on. I have shaken/ rocked it to dispel all the air, but it just hums away.

I was thinking about putting some silicone grease on the impeller shaft and cover?

My 306 does the same and also rattles mechanically sometimes.
On the advice of a YT video, I took it apart and wrapped plumbers sealing tape (think it's PTFE) around the edge of the red cover over the impeller and also put a tiny o-ring on the end of the impeller shaft. This did stop the rattling but it does still hum quite loudly. Much louder than any previous filter I've had actually (Eheim, APS and no-name Chinese ones).

I emailed them and got a generic fob-off reply about making sure air is out, and send it back if not. Can't really do that and leave the tank without a filter though so I'm just sticking with it.

Back