• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternanthera reineckii Dying

JRPW

Seedling
Hi Guys,

My Alternanthera reineckii grew quite well untill recently when it started to loose leaves and go glassy.

Thought it was Iron deficiency but my seachem flourish fert has iron in it.

Included a photo.
10679884_10100127724693261_8217961086385539672_o.jpg

Many Thanks
James

I recently changed the position of this plant in my tank... She loves light and co2 quite a lot. Mine was struggling under the shade of a plant and the flow was blocked by another one. Three days in the new position have been enough to notice new growth. Anyway more details about your setup would help.

Jordi

I second that, loves the light hates the shade and needs good co2 and elbow room to do (exceptionally) well. In my tank those planted in lower flow with little space for roots keep compact and grow much slower than those planted in more spacious substrate with greater flow, they are showing prolific growth and are now emerging out the tank. In my high tech if the co2 isn't right at breakfast time daily they'll get the hump melt a little and shed lower leaves.

15536853755_41ac8b257f_k.jpg

The area on the right has the compact growth, below the filter outlet. The Alternanthera has been moved around, chopped and replanted multiple times over the last few months.

Having said that I have some growing in coated gravel in my planted shrimp tank, low light, no co2 and occasional ferts and it is growing slowly with leaves showing a nice deep burgundy colour. You can see it here in the right hand corner.

15416959708_62f877c8d3_k.jpg

This was just a stem cutting from the main tank, the stem is cut both ends with two leaves left on either side and stuck in the substrate to see how it would behave, it's nice to see it growing and so red. The leaves left on it that were grown in the high tech as you can see are suffering the loss of co2 and are degrading.

:)

My Alternanthera reineckii grew quite well untill recently when it started to loose leaves and go glassy.
This is a classic symptom of poor CO2.

A. reineckii does not really care if it's in shade or not. It only cares if there is poor CO2.

Cheers,

Hi, it can't be co2....i have my co2 yellow and i'm dosing everything...now(last try) i'm trying to dose more iron....
it can't be co2....my co2 its everytime high.....i'm trying to solve this like 1 year ago........

Hi, it can't be co2....i have my co2 yellow
Move the reineckii to where the drop checker is, this will cure your problem. :D.

The drop checker only indicates there is sufficient CO2 where it is located, the reineckii indicates otherwise. I have been really surprised in my tank, as originally setup, that I could position drop checker in different places in the tank and get yellow in one place and blue/green in another, symptoms of poor CO2 distribution.

I have been really surprised in my tank, as originally setup, that I could position drop checker in different places in the tank and get yellow in one place and blue/green in another, symptoms of poor CO2 distribution.
The same for me, my DC makes a kind of tank tour during the month to check that everything is ok.

Jordi

Ok i understand you guys.. Let me just say this...
My tank have 200L. I'm using 2 jbl 1501e filters, i have an extra wave pump.. I have a lot of water flow.....
I have althernanthera mini in one side and althernanthera on the other side....
How can you explane this??.......

c57c0a69450d385b5a6def4b51a58d69.jpg
d78fba3901ccce7c8b80447a79ea1380.jpg

In this photos you can see that the new leaves are getting better. I changed the temp from 28/29 to 25, less light and a little bit of more traces. But then they turned to be worst again

Ok i understand you guys.. Let me just say this...
My tank have 200L. I'm using 2 jbl 1501e filters, i have an extra wave pump.. I have a lot of water flow.....
I have althernanthera mini in one side and althernanthera on the other side....
How can you explane this??.......
Conditions can change in your tank just moving a plant 10 cm, imagine all along a 200 liters tank.
How is the light? How are you using this flow (are outflows in the same direction, oposite direction)?

In this photos you can see that the new leaves are getting better. I changed the temp from 28/29 to 25, less light and a little bit of more traces. But then they turned to be worst again
Do you keep Discus there? Otherwise it makes no sense to have your tank at 29ºC, plants will grow much better at lower temperatures. Not sure how much light you have but plants melting means Co2 problems (flow, levels or both). I can see in your pictures that the other plants do well and this plant is IMO a hungry Co2 one. As mentioned in my previous post I changed this plant and only had success once it was not shaded and was receiving a perfect stream of bubbles over her...

Jordi

The outflow are in opposite ways. One on left and annother on right side.
No, i dont keep discus and it was a error... Now i have 25c•.
I had 162w and now i have 108watts.
Yes. All the other plants are ok... Just althernanthera..... I user reactor and now im using diffuser and its the same...

Your outlets should point, all of them, the same direction, otherwise you are loosing flow. I can see that the right and left one are pointing to the center and also the pump. Try to point them horizontally to the front glass (so you riplle gently the surface) and place the pump between them, in the center of the tank. This way all of them will be pushing the water to the front wall and making the water/gas/nutrients to go to the front bottom and back to the rear reaching all your plants with a uniform flow.

Jordi

Reading again your post it is a bit surprising you need a pump having two JBL e1501 in 200 liters. Placing the outflows as mentioned will probably improve the efficiency. Two spraybars covering the rear glass would also work well (going from one side to the center and placed just below the water surface with the jets pointing horizontally to the front)... but may I ask how filled your canisters are? If they are plenty of media, try leaving just 1/2 or 1/3 of it. This will improve your flow a lot and with the new outlaw positioning you won't probably need a pump.

Jordi

Hi, i cannot also put one in the right poiting to the left on the back and annother on the left poiting to the right but in the front.. This will create a circle flow...

Can i know what tipe of co2 method do you have please.

Hi, i cannot also put one in the right poiting to the left on the back and annother on the left poiting to the right but in the front.. This will create a circle flow...

Can i know what tipe of co2 method do you have please.
Yes, it would work, but I guess it is much easier to keep the outflows where they are and just pointing them to the front. Anyway try both options and see what works best in your setup. Keep in mind that outflows and pumps have to work together to create the better flow and not in opposite directions.

Regarding the co2 diffusion system, my larger tank is 3 times smaller than yours... So no possible comparison. Other members would give you better recommendations than me. I guess external reactors or inline diffuser will be a good option to ensure a good diffusion in your large tank. A review of the featured journals and journal section will also give you a good idea of what folks do.

Jordi

Can i ask you what fertilyzers should i put?
It was nice if you tell me the tipe of fertilyzer and the quantity.
I'm using dry salts..
I just want to know if i'm dosing right or not.

I can already say that my tap water have just 1,3mg/l of magnesium and 1,3mg/l of calcium.. I already buyed from ebay cacl2 and mgso4.

Can i ask you what fertilyzers should i put?
It was nice if you tell me the tipe of fertilyzer and the quantity.
I'm using dry salts..
I just want to know if i'm dosing right or not.

I can already say that my tap water have just 1,3mg/l of magnesium and 1,3mg/l of calcium.. I already buyed from ebay cacl2 and mgso4.
Hi Diogo

Have a look to the Tutorial Section in which all this is explained in detail. Dry salts is the best way to go IMO for large tanks. Forget about the content of your tap water and make sure you add enough N, P, K and micros. The Estimative Index relies on supplying enough (unlimited amounts from the plants' point of view) of nutrients to the water column so your plants never starve. You can dose dry salts directly with a spoon or make your own dilution. Read the thread and feel free to ask if you have any doubt.

Jordi

Back