• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf Lily help needed

drodgers

Noticed a dark spot yesterday ,today it ate through.
All my parameters excellent co2 was a bit high nothing else in the tank showing any deficiencies .
Any ideas?
DSC_0546_zpsafa86ec0.jpg

Like Darrel says; every leaf have a life-spand.
At some point any leaf grow old and weak......no longer able to fight off fungi and other attackers. It's different from species to species, how long expected life of a leaf is - and environment also play a role.
Generally lifetime of waterlilly-leaf are not very long (=months), compared to ex. lifetime of an Anubias-leaf (=years).

It happens to me with Echinodorus ozellot green. Old leaves usually show yellow patches when they are two or three months old and if not trimmed they become ugly (brown, then darker and finally a hole). I though it was a kind of deficiency but the plant is producing new leaves very fast. I guess it is a mix of lifespan and difficult situation to have good light and nutrients (these leaves are below the new ones). As the young ones are really much more attractive (contrast between green and black marks) I just prune the old leaves once they begin to show signs of senescence. The good part is that this plant grows too much for my tanks so I keep it on a kind of permanent juvenile stage. Not sure if I will exhaust it...

Jordi

It happens to me with Echinodorus ozellot green. Old leaves usually show yellow patches when they are two or three months old and if not trimmed they become ugly (brown, then darker and finally a hole). I though it was a kind of deficiency but the plant is producing new leaves very fast. I guess it is a mix of lifespan and difficult situation to have good light and nutrients (these leaves are below the new ones). As the young ones are really much more attractive (contrast between green and black marks) I just prune the old leaves once they begin to show signs of senescence. The good part is that this plant grows too much for my tanks so I keep it on a kind of permanent juvenile stage. Not sure if I will exhaust it...

Jordi
I'd be really surprised, if you can "exhaust" an Ech. 'Ozelot' - they grow like mad, turning into a rubarb as time passes:D

Back