• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does this look safe ?

Merls

Seedling
Just setting up my 1st CO2 system, i bought the

Premium Complete Aquarium CO2 System for tank up to 500L from CO2art, seems good but was no instructions, i've watched the video's but they don't answer about adjusting pressure.
I've watched some stuff on youtube and wanted to check the bottle for leaks so connected the regulator and solenoid, turned on the gas and got the following readings, Question is..
Do they look ok as not sure what the gauge on the left needs to be set at and turning the blue knob has no effect on anything !
Not sure if its anything to do with the allen key bit on the back but didnt want to mess about before asking you all.

g1.jpg
g2.jpg

I have the same regulator and run the left dial at 40 psi. Think it goes up to 50 when turned off.

The blue knob will have no effect until you turn it on and the gas is escaping. It's basically the existing trapped gas keeping the pressure up. The little needle valve thing with the locking nut to the left of where you connect the hose is then used to adjust your bubble rate.

No need to be messing with Allen keys :D

Oh ok so i need to open the needle value to be able to adjust the gauge on the left then with the blue dial ?
Better wait then till its fully set up or going to send gas everywhere.
Ive got a UP new inline co2 atomizer diffuser that says it needs at least 35psi so should i try and set it to something like 40 ?

No, the needle valve won't change the pressure, just the amount you're letting into the tank. (Edit: Yes, misread your post. The needle valve needs to be open)

The blue dial will adjust the pressure, but the needle valve will have to be open in order for you to see thechanges you're making. If the needle valve is fully open it will change straight away, the more it's closed the longer it will take for the existing gas to escape and for you to see the dial change.

Just put it on now and have a play. As long as you don't stick your mouth over the end and start inhaling it you'll be fine :D

Turn the cylinder off it will only take a few seconds to vent the excess pressure
Start with the blue knob fully unscrewed
Plug in solenoid and open needle valve to vent gas until working gauge reads 0psi
Unplug solenoid and close needle valve
Open cylinder valve
Slowly turn blue knob clockwise to increase pressure 40psi is good for the inline

Thanks i had a play and the blue dial does indeed change the dial on the left when the needle value is open and gas comes out

Many thanks for the info and advice, as a total newbie i really do appreciate the help.. Going to leave the set up till tomorrow night as dont fancy cutting into my 25 mm outlet pipe (all ponds filter) and trying to connect the 22mm atomizer up hoping it will tighten up the 3mm gap (will add jubilee clips and hope for the best)

Would rather do that Friday night when ive got plenty of time to look for water leaks

I'm running the up inline too which also came with no instructions. After an hour head scratching and the odd swear word trying to connect it, I found out that it doesn't connect like you think it would, or at least mine didn't.

I automatically thought the threaded nuts would be placed on to the hose, then the hose pushed on to the diffuser and the nuts tightened. This just wasn't happening, the hose was too thick to get the nut any where near the diffuser. I ended up leaving the nut on the diffuser and winding it all the way to the top, then added the hose and wound the nut down on to the hose, if that makes sense. It's not leaking anyway and there was no way it was going on the way I thought it would. Just thought I'd mention it, may save you a bit of head scratching :D

Would be nice to know though if this is the "proper" way though.

Yeah thanks for the info, will sure save me some head scratching tomorrow that will. Going to pop to Maplins as well and get a Flood / water leak detector and keep it in the cupboard with the external filters (currently running 2 of them) then if i get a leak (hopefully i wont) the alarm will go off before it dumps upto 350 litres of water in the room.

Oh by the way, i've heard some people run it on there inlet as it cuts down the visible bubbles in the tank, just wondered if you run it on the inlet or outlet, Cant really say im fond of pumping CO2 via the inlet into the external filter so im hoping the bubbles from the outlet arn't to annoying. Plus if i see some bubbles at least i know its working :)

I run a sump so I've no choice but to run it on the outlet, yep it annoys me.

I haven't had experience myself but I'd advise going down the inlet route, or at least trying it. Or to put it another way, my new sumped tank will be having a reactor after the diffuser to hopefully get rid of the bubbles.

Use good quality fittngs and proper CO2 cylinders and you can't go far wrong, safety wise.

Problems occur when people improvise fittings and use non equatic CO2 tanks (FE's etc) and that's when problems start to happen..

How does a 'proper' CO2 cylinder offer greater safety then a FE?

Just wondering?
Well you can't accidentally open it to full by bumping it or knocking it over but by the same token you can't instantly shut it off either. As for quality all cylinders should conform to the relevant standards regardless of the end use. Saying that I'd be more inclined to trust equipment designed for industrial use than stuff for home/hobby use.

Back