• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Change Methods (Considerations For Debate)

Tap to tank would knock my waters changes down by half.
Yes, exactly, that leaves you more time for drinking beer or wine or [insert favorite beverage here].

If you're worried about temperature, and if you have a faucet with a double tap then all you have to do is to grab thermometer and set the temperature coming out of the tap to the same as the tank, or within a degre or two. Then connect the hose. If the tap is an outdoor tap, with only cold water, well then this is a no-go, but intdoor faucets work fine. As Chandler mentions just add the dechlorinator to the tank while the water is running.

Cheers,

Man I'm glad I spotted this, was just about to spend £45 on RO to fill my tank up!
Instead I'm simply going to fill up with tap water and use prime!

Only harm from large water changes that I have ever experienced is when the water changes prior have been infrequent.
Been doing 50% water changes for nearly 20 year's.
Raised a group of juvie Discus about the size of a bottle cap to Adult size within a year with 50% water changes three times a week.
If I'm gonna drag out the hose,drain water,I'm gonna change more than 20%.

Yeah, I still have it. Used to be a real PITA but I've got new gear to make the removal easier. A 5 meter hose attached to the kitchen faucet makes filling a doddle.

Cheers,

Is there a chance you can share some pictures of your tank with us?

i'm a little confused, i was reading some times ago of some low tech tank without water change
a thought average was about 10% per week
maybe i misunderstood the topic

was reading some times ago of some low tech tank without water change
In low tech, plants don't produce as much waste as high tech EI, thus less water changes may be needed. Also your filter may cope fine in removing the waste as well. My mate has a low tech tank, with single T5 tube, doses EI solution occasionally at weekend, liquid carbon occasionally at weekend and changes two bucket worth 20litres out of 120litre tank every couple of months. Plants grow, slowly, no algae, fish are fine. All easy looking after.

Back