• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any tables for LED's 5050SMD's?

Jay1

I understand the Watts per litre i.e 1Watt per litre.
Is there another table for Lumens correct me if I'm wrong, but I calculated 144watts over 300litres as 0.48Watts per litre.
I always thought the lumens was a better way of calculating light requirement?

Neither WPG or lumens are terribly useful, and the former is completely useless with LEDs as they output far more light per watt than conventional halogen or fluorescent lighting for which the 'rule of thumb' was developed.

PAR is what you want but you're unlikely to find data for most lights.

Better off posting what lights you are considering alongside your tank dimensions and planned CO2 and flow options and hopefully someone will be able to tell you if they look broadly reasonable.

what you can do is find the lumens for a length of your leds for a given length T5 light and its quoted lumens. What you will find, if I remember rightly, is you will not be buying 5050 led strips as T5 is brighter for the same length. Small leds are generally far less efficient than say 3W and bigger Cree LEDs

Neither WPG or lumens are terribly useful, and the former is completely useless with LEDs as they output far more light per watt than conventional halogen or fluorescent lighting for which the 'rule of thumb' was developed.
PAR is what you want but you're unlikely to find data for most lights.
Better off posting what lights you are considering alongside your tank dimensions and planned CO2 and flow options and hopefully someone will be able to tell you if they look broadly reasonable.
Thanks Tom it seems like a black hole for consistant ratings from different manufacturers.

what you can do is find the lumens for a length of your leds for a given length T5 light and its quoted lumens. What you will find, if I remember rightly, is you will not be buying 5050 led strips as T5 is brighter for the same length. Small leds are generally far less efficient than say 3W and bigger Cree LEDs

I have two bars @ a meter each with 60 5050's per bar rated @ 480 Lumens per bar so total would be 960 Lumens, but like you have said so many parameters like glass thickness, distance from water and PAR.
20150130_204414.jpg
20150130_204024.jpg
20150130_204013.jpg
20150130_204007.jpg

Back