• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

One or Two?

Given the choice, would you have 1 large tank or split the volume into 2 smaller tanks?

• Total voters

James O

He's back with more questions!

options along the lines of: 1x 120cm or 2x 60cm

big tank pros - super scape, larger materials, different fish options, etc etc
twin 60 pros - two layouts, unique designs, specific fish habitats, etc etc

please vote fill in your pros & cons :cool:

Had 2 90l tanks and switched to 180l shallow tank, loving the view and I seem to have more time to enjoy.

IMO, if you prefer the low tech approach go for the larger one you can have (or you are allowed to have....). For high tech, at least for me, something around 25-90 liters let you focus on good maintenance and small details, unless you are lucky enough, you don't need to work and you can devote all your time to your hobby

Jordi

2 tanks - if you like fish, this will allow you to keep non-compatible fish

BUT I'd go with 1x90cm & 1x60cm as there are loads of fish that I won't keep in a tank with only 60cm length

A lot depends on what budget you have available & time & space ... I went with 45cm depth on both tanks, I also prefer a taller tank
- though if you're intending an Iwagumi these are often shallower tanks.

But then Green Pekoe Pond is possibly my favorite tank journal & it's only an ADA 45P

1 big tank for me...less work...and less use of space (huh)...yes, less use of space ...1 x 120 only uses 120 floor space, while 2 x 60 will use more simply because you never place them directly next to each other. One more reason for me to have 1 bigger tank is that I love the look of it...
To bad there wasn't a 3th option, 1 big tank and a few smaller ones :D...or 2 big tanks, 1 marine tank, 1 biotoop tank, 1 breeding tank, 1...........

At the moment I have two running one 2m X 62 and a 60 X 41. Been plotting to setup 1m X 45. The big tank is great for a stable water setpup and being able to put just about any live stock. The down side, only viable to go low tech approach. The 60 is great minimal ferts top noch substrate small water change it all happens very fast, down side space is at such a premium need to know exactly what you are going to do. Now this I where the 1m tank comes into play, a good middle ground. So I'd have to say 1 bigun;)

I prefer 1 large tank as it allows more interaction between different fish species and hardscapes, It also allows more stability and time to spot any mistakes I make before they become fatal. (assuming you consider 90x37x37 cm large).
Lack of time, room, money and electrical sockets doesn't help!
I also choose livestock and plants for my water rather than changing water chemistry; low-tech and lazy - that's me.

When I retire I aim to set up an old 5ft 12"wide I've got as a river tank and change my 90cm tank for a 90x90cm, having been inspired by Big Tom's 'Bucket O' Mud'.
I might have to replace our floor-boards before that, though...
cheers phil

Bigun, I had two 60's, two 100's, various small tanks from 1 litre up to 180 litres, best tank I bought, 120P! Increased layout options, fish options, space to work in, plant options for the scale of the scape, there's loads of pros.

My fav is having the room to make a twin island scape, a single giant island, and still having extra room, also never being limited hard scape wise ;).

definitely hopping on the big bandwagon! Mainly for fish choice. You can have fairly similar schooling fish in either, but in smaller tanks you're pretty limited on your centerpiece

When I retire I aim to set up an old 5ft 12"wide I've got as a river tank and change my 90cm tank for a 90x90cm, having been inspired by Big Tom's 'Bucket O' Mud'

With the 90x90, will you have that cloudy effect? I've noticed that in quite deep tanks (front to back) you start to lose clarity, which I'm not a fan of. Then again, may just be the camera. But I'm sure I've even seen it in tom barr's tank (the one with dozens of species in it)

I would like a bigger aquarium, but don't have the space and I'm in rented accommodation. My plan was to buy a nano cube for a Betta, that plan turned in to a high tech TMC Signature 60x45x45 with pressurised CO2 which is soon to be set up (thats what these forums did to me, cost me a fortune)! I'm still going to set-up the Nano at a later date though as I still really want the Betta, he's going to get a pretty nice aquarium, probably a Fluval Spec 19 which will be a low tech with Microsorum, Anubias and floaters. I like the idea of having multiple smaller tanks, different approaches, experimenting with different plants and ideas. I would be lying if I said I didn't want a big tank though, I would just have a big tank and still have the smaller ones :)

With the 90x90, will you have that cloudy effect? I've noticed that in quite deep tanks (front to back) you start to lose clarity, which I'm not a fan of. Then again, may just be the camera. But I'm sure I've even seen it in tom barr's tank (the one with dozens of species in it)
Hi Rahms,
I hadn't considered that, but I don't think it would worry me too much. I think it will give a "receding to infinity" impression, and I tend to be a "1/3 of the fish visible 1/3 of the time" proponent.
cheers phil

Hi Rahms,
I hadn't considered that, but I don't think it would worry me too much. I think it will give a "receding to infinity" impression, and I tend to be a "1/3 of the fish visible 1/3 of the time" proponent.
cheers phil

sounds like a good rule to follow! Unfortunately I only have two fish for now....

Back