• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Holes on the red plants

Daneland

Hello guys
My red plants (alternanthera cardinalis,rosaefolia,rosanervig) get holes.Cardinalis and rosaefolia have been in the tank for along time they keep showing holes since the beginning, I added rosanervig to the tank a couple of weeks ago but it has started to show same symptoms. General growth of these and other plants are so good.I get green algae on the top surfaces of cardinalis which can be wiped easily.No other serious algae issues in the tank.
I use aquraiumplantfood's EI starter kit
Pressurized CO2
Lights are custom made LED, currently using 36 watts of LED, I reduced the light from 54 to 36 as green algae on the leafs of cardinalis.
125 litres Juwel tank with an internal filter
WC are 50% weekly
Using a 1000l/h for additional circulation

Is it a phosphate deficiency?

2015-10-09%2014.20.15.jpg

2015-10-09%2014.20.39.jpg

2015-10-09%2014.31.51.jpg

Last edited:
Mechanical defects in plants is generally always either something in your tanks scoffing whilst you are not looking or insufficient carbon for the light levels you are providing.

36W LED sounds like lot, have you any lumen levels for your LED fixture ?

Mechanical defects in plants is generally always either something in your tanks scoffing whilst you are not looking or insufficient carbon for the light levels you are providing.

36W LED sounds like lot, have you any lumen levels for your LED fixture ?

Thanks for your quick reply.Before LEDs there were T5s and had the same problem. For CO2 I should use a pH meter as my drop checker never goes back to blue.There is not enough surface agitation to release CO2 from the water I guess.
I have a small shoal of neon and cardinal tetras,1 tiger barb,1 bosami rainbow,1 diamond tetra,3 penguen tetras,3 ottos,4 Zebra danios,Amano shrimps and some rili shrimps.

Holes can sometimes be potassium deficiency, but you are dosing EI and other plants are OK.

The fact that the holes are only on leaves nearer the light, again points to CO2 issue with respect to light level (or scoffing fish that need a sun tan).

Ok I have reduced the light 1/3 and raised the appliance 4 inches above.Lets see how it goes. The only thing makes me wonder ,why the plants need more light than others get holes.crypts and an amazon sword have no holes ?

The first picture, to the left of the red plant, the green plants with the narrow leaves
OK I think it is just just the camera. It is Rotala and leaves are fine, getting pinkish tint gradually.
Actually ,today I have been in one of my favorite fish store, the guy convinced me that it is bloody munching snails (you were right Ian ) As only this plant's some leaves are affected,I will leave them alone.

It is getting worse and ramhorns are the responsible for it..
How can I get rid of them ?Assassin snails? You can see in the middle of the first picture while they are munching...

2015-10-15%2020.10.21.jpg

2015-10-15%2020.08.40.jpg

Back