• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90 x 45 x 45 - All The Little Things - New Journal

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

So things are finally at the stage of setting up my clearseal 90 edgeline tank. This thing has been sitting in the living room since march unused for anything other then a plant holding tank. It's also taken a ridiculous amount of time to collect the equipment i wanted. But thankfully its now all read to go!

So the plan for this one is a bit busy, mainly so I can get a lot of different types of fish in. I've been limited by my choices of late by doing simple layouts or species only tanks. The second aim is to make everything small scale livestock wise. Lots of little things or All The Little Things as i'm calling it.

So micro rasbora, scarlett badis.... that kind of thing. shoals of tiny :)

Kit wise will be as below.

---------

Specifics

Tank Size - 90x45x40 Clearseal Edgeline
Lights - 1 x Current USA Satellite + Pro Freshwater
Filter - Eheim professionel 3 1200xlt, Aqua Rebel stainless steel outtake and intake with skimmer
Substrate - TMC NutraSoil
Decor - Redmoor wood, cobbles covered in moss

---------

IMG_3663.jpg

Little view from the front while i ponder wood arrangement

IMG_3664.jpg

All needs a little clean from it's use as a holding tank

IMG_3665.jpg

Little look at the light. Comes with a nifty remote

IMG_3666.jpg

First of the pre set light colours

IMG_3667.jpg

Second of the pre set colours

IMG_3668.jpg

Third

IMG_3669.jpg

And forth

IMG_3672.jpg

View from the ponder seat. :)

-----------------

Planting wise i'm really wanting to keep the small theme with a lot of mixed ground cover between the cobbles covered in various mosses in a central area between redmoor. A meeting place for all the little things.

This was somewhat inspired by photos I was taking of the river in Costa Rica while kayaking.

DSC_0362.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

I'll make an album elsewhere for the rest of the Costa Rica trip. Was exceedingly inspiring.

The redmoor arms around central cobble planting area i'm aiming to use a lot of Fontinalis antipyretica var. gigantea, which i've been growing out for an inordinate amount of time from a tiny bit i received years ago. Now I have bucket loads and have started pruning tests in the new plant holding tank. The aim is to give the appearance of fuzzy tree foliage with anubias in the lower areas, mini java fern intermixed. I'm also pondering using a smaller version of this moss to create a increased perspective on back branches. Who knows. It's a new moss type to me.

Just want to give it a try :)

Questions and comments welcome as always in my journals.

Always learning.

Best Regards,
John

sounds an exciting project :D

for badis type fishes, maybe add some nice twisty lengths of wood at substrate level as well, creating dims & hollows against the substrate, also between lower branches using plants ...

That is excellent twiggy wood (but does it truly sink :eek:)

Have you thought of planting bits of HC etc into the moss base? Green Pekoe Pond has some interplanted stuff that looks lovely.

for badis type fishes, maybe add some nice twisty lengths of wood at substrate level as well, creating dims & hollows against the substrate, also between lower branches using plants ...

Have you thought of planting bits of HC etc into the moss base? Green Pekoe Pond has some interplanted stuff that looks lovely.

Hi Alto,
The Wood will sink when soaked for a few weeks ;)

hi john just one question think of getting the same tank the clearseal edgeline is it optiwhite low iron glass and looking foreward to your tank progression great start

So far looking good John. Have you tried to turn the wood like 90 degrees backwards so the trunks of the roots would be pointing to the bottom of the tank and maybe rotate them?

Last edited:
hi john just one question think of getting the same tank the clearseal edgeline is it optiwhite low iron glass and looking foreward to your tank progression great start

They say it is. I'm not 100% convinced. It has more of a green tint then my other opti but i've also been told in the past it can vary from tank to tank. In fact of the three 30cm cube opti's i have one is much more green then the others.

Quality wise the work was good but not 100%. The first tank that came had the wrong background (the black back is standard and i wanted clear so i could change it between scapes if i wanted) there were also flaws in the silicone. The second tank is better but there are still a few bubbles visible in the silicone. But i settled for it. Still. Not quite the standard i'd expect from this premium range. I'll probably look elsewhere next time.

Don't let me put you off. The key is the price i feel.

Best Regards,
John
p.s will reply to everyone else later tonight.

hi john thanks for reply was getting it through lfs so will see them about what you said on the silicone with the bubbles but does look cheap price then others so thank and hope it ok

Hi John,

Costa Rica... that must be very inspiring I'm sure!

Looking forward to seeing the tank planted :)

Cheers,
Manu

It really was amazing. We stayed most of the time in the rainforest. I really wish id taken an underwater camera with me. The rivers were so clear.

When I finally have the wood soaked it will sink happily. I've not settled on the final positions yet but as long as I have a central "clearing area for the pebble/moss mounds with planting between I'll be happy. There should be plenty of hiding areas for the little things to live.

I'm going to have a fair amount of stuff planted in the moss mostly slower growing stuff that won't swamp it. I'm trying to keep things medium light or below. Pekoe Pond is lovely, i have to agree.

Hi John,

Great Start Love the DW pieces :cool:

Looking forward to seeing this come together :)

Cheers man. Really happy this is finally coming together. it was scheduled for back in March but......stuff got delayed. :(

So far looking good John. Have you tried to turn the wood like 90 degrees backwards so the trunks of the roots would be pointing to the bottom of the tank and maybe rotate them?

Yeah got lots of wood playing to do. These are not the final positions. As mentioned above I want a central clearing area where the small stuff will meet. I'll do some playing when I have a moment next week and see what people think. I've got the pebbles sorted now too. (see below).

nice pieces of wood. Looking forward to the rest of the tank

cheers
ryan

Cheers man. So am i :)

hi john thanks for reply was getting it through lfs so will see them about what you said on the silicone with the bubbles but does look cheap price then others so thank and hope it ok

I got mine through the LFS too (ALWAYS SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FISH SHOP :) ) but i'll say for the price it's worth a punt. Just dont be afraid to send it back if it's not 100% the quality you want or expect for the premium tag. Check it over before accepting it. You might just have to wait a little time for the next one to arrive. :)

-------------------

IMG_3693.jpg

Slight pile of rocks from my stream about to be cleaned in the dishwasher. :)

Best Regards,
John

LMAO re washing rocks in the dish washer! Learn something everyday!!

LMAO re washing rocks in the dish washer! Learn something everyday!!

Just make sure to give em a rinse before hand. last time i did this there was sand and grit coming through for the next 6 months. :)

thanks john will check everthings ok at lfs before purchase thanks for reply going to get tank after xmas.

Wood pondering....

IMG_4045.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4048.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

Going to have to chop some branches to get the final fit. lots of rouge limbs stopping easy adjustment. plus im going to have a closed top.

Opinions welcome.

Cheers,
John

Hi all,

A little update, things moving along.

IMG_4053.jpg

I am going to prune out the vertical branch on the far left and possibly the other one near it as it will obstruct the lid. Sand to add in the foreground. Possibly moving the left branch inwards a touch.

Kicking myself a touch for not picking up some smaller pebbles from the stream when I got these. Will sort it later.

Best Regards,
John

The river stones look lovely. Great looking wood too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm off to find a river nearby.....

It's a little easier collecting in summer :)

I'll post the photos from set up and current later this week. Xmas has been a touch hectic. :)

Back