• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eye of Cthulhu

Gill

Most of you have seen this tank in Many Many Guises over the years.
it was my sons Fancy Goldfish tank untill a few weeks ago and then gradually has become this over time.
What helps is joining the local scaping club. so Hardscape and Plants are 1/2 price.
This peice fills the tank alot and I like that, as it leaves interesting planting pockets.
It is a might overstocked at the moments as waiting for most of the fish to go to their new tank at a neighbours.

Apologies for crappy pix, only have a cheap camera phone now.

Filtration:
Interpet Internal
K1micro and Hamma beads Moving Bed filer with Coarse Sponge prefilter.

Hardscape:
Red moor root £14 with club discount
Inside the Root is an old Swarovski crystal ball that was in a water feature. Looks nice as an Eye
Willow Hut for the Apisto Borelli hareem.

Substrate is just silver sand

Planting
Dwarf Hair Grass and tall
Xmas Moss
Fissidens Fontanus - Which the angels are having fun eating
Some kind of sword - was in a fluval edge i bought last weekend.

Fish Staying
Gold Diamond Angels (Had been attacked by male borelli, but are healing well and tails growing back)
Hareem of apisto borelli
Hareem of Rams
WCMM
Black and standard Peppered Cory
Black Spot Algae Eaters
BN
Saffron Molly
Red and Blue Spot ramshorn snails

12696680_10208305445655506_1634118868_o.jpg

think i need to add more twigs to the left side as looks a bit sparse

Liking this alot.
Trying a new brand of Internal filter. JBD and very impressed with it.
Very powerful for its size and the sponge chamber is very customisable, And it expands in size if you want to squeeze more in. Also has multiple outlets on it.
I have switched to a peice of Seiryu stone covered in fissidens and stems. and it look good as a weight for the wood to sink. Also provides a cave for the apistos as well.
Really want some of those platinum kuhli like loaches called pang.... something. as they would look nice in amongst all the wood.
Changed the snails to Pink Pearl Ramshorns and removed all the fish going to a neighbours tank.

Liking this alot.
Trying a new brand of Internal filter. JBD and very impressed with it.
Very powerful for its size and the sponge chamber is very customisable, And it expands in size if you want to squeeze more in. Also has multiple outlets on it.
I have switched to a peice of Seiryu stone covered in fissidens and stems. and it look good as a weight for the wood to sink. Also provides a cave for the apistos as well.
Really want some of those platinum kuhli like loaches called pang.... something. as they would look nice in amongst all the wood.
Changed the snails to Pink Pearl Ramshorns and removed all the fish going to a neighbours tank.

Hi Gill, I kept Loaches years ago. One problem you hardly see them. They like hiding and coming out when the lights are off :( Fab looking fish though

yeah that is a problem with them
Just got back from fish shopping and got a lovely large group of Splash Tetras 2 males and 8 females. and some more female killies for the male.
Will post some pix later or maybe in the morning
Did not have any more twigs this week, so will have a hunt around for some nice twigs to add to the left side.

added more twigs to the left side.
And mixed rams, Standard Females and mixed gold head electric blue
And a nice large group of Amano shrimp. as Cherries were being eaten in this so added some bigger shrimp and they are doing fine. Dont see them though as they stay inside the root burl on the redmoor

There are still the platties and guppies to remove from this. been hard to catch them now with all the wood.

Last edited:
Going to change the MBF this weekend, for a smaller model. as the media is nice and mature. and have another smaller one ready to use.
I have to say since finding out about these the from tynevalley. I have them in my tanks, and the water quality has improved drastically.

Managed to bag a 12k bag of silver sand for 5quid at the weekend. so was going to do a rescape. that has changed as there are eggs from the borelli in the willow cave. so will leave them alone for a while and see what happens.

Also trying some fissidens from the pond section, looks nice :)
Treating for WS atm, not shifting with normal meds so switched to WS3. Hoping that will clear it. not had it last this long before.

Done a Major rescape on this.
Upgraded to tank to another Tank from Rosedale(now closed down :( )
Tank is : 70*45*54 so 140L

Upgraded the Internal Sponge to the largest I could Find Which handily was a seeded one from Rockpool. Must say it does keep the water crystal clear. Going to add an moving bed to the outlet, as found a nice pack of beads to try out along with the K1 Micro.
This one has a Shelf area where normally you would add your lighting,I have planted it up with Moss an Hydroctyle. And it makes a perfect refuge for the shrimp. They spend all their time in the planted shelving area.
Plants added: Hygrophila Pinnatifida, Hygrophila Rosannervig *2, Pogostemon Erectus, Micranthemum Umbrosum, Bacopa Caroliniana, Hydrocotyle Tripartita *3 Pots.

No Pix till new phone arrives next week.

Not much to update, plants are doing well.
Apistos are dancing for each other.
And looks like the Angels are going to spawn again.
Almost bought another tank yesterday. Someone Local was selling up - 5*2*2 on solid oak with all equipment and 2 externals for £150. Had to stop myself as dont think the wife would have appreciated that when she Returns from Calgary next week.

MAle Angel is a Gigolo, has spawned with 2 different females in the same tank. which from what i gather is quite unusual.

Back