• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Complete Aquarium DIY CO2 System for tank up to 500L

Heagney

This is selling for just £40, is there anyway to manipulate it to use a fire extinguisher or something rather than yeast etc?

Can you post a link to the product you mean?

I'm having trouble imagining a yeast-based CO₂ system that would provide enough CO₂ for a 500 litre tank.

I can't imagine there being many common components between such a system and a pressurised system running from a fire extinguisher. A pressurised system needs a regulator, and preferably also a solenoid valve. Neither of those would be needed for a fermentation-based system, which would normally just be a plastic bottle with a length of airline tubing and possibly a check valve - in fact, I can't see why you'd spend £40 on such a system rather than making it yourself out of a lemonade bottle.

I think attempting to run a 500litre tank on yeast would be very ill advised.

This kit would be built for much lower pressures I would imagine, hooking up a 1000psi fire extinguisher is asking for trouble.

No I was just looking at options. Not got a spare couple hundred kicking around for a wee 63l
I just like a lot of the more hard to keep plants as I'm sure most people do haha

No I was just looking at options. Not got a spare couple hundred kicking around for a wee 63l
I just like a lot of the more hard to keep plants as I'm sure most people do haha
Look I rem using a diy kit on my first tank before the Bucks starting rolling in on both yeast and b carb citric acid for as little as £20 setup have a look about on eBay 1kg of b carb and citric acid around 3-4 pounds.

This is selling for just £40, is there anyway to manipulate it to use a fire extinguisher or something rather than yeast etc?
No don't waste your money honestly that's a lot for that you could spend that 40 and get it all than just the kit your be able to get it for half that price honest eBay type in search diy co2 you might even get a kit for a tenner on bid don't rush shop about.

Thanks John Dory but I wouldn't have the money for all the kit for a couple of months tbh I've got a lot on at the mo.
Thanks ray I'll have a shop around. I'm a bit weary of the whole co2 malarkey with 2 young kids around. Pressurised gas puts the sh1ts right up me haha

Thanks John Dory but I wouldn't have the money for all the kit for a couple of months tbh I've got a lot on at the mo.
Thanks ray I'll have a shop around. I'm a bit weary of the whole co2 malarkey with 2 young kids around. Pressurised gas puts the sh1ts right up me haha
No worries all the best

Has anybody used this method before?? Could be better than yeast if it's more controllable?

Has anybody used this method before?? Could be better than yeast if it's more controllable?

Yeah I used this before I used the kit too a lot better than making your own no leaks. It's really good as it auto feeds the acid to the b carb but not sure what you mean by controllable? I believe it or not went back to the yeast i personally found the acid to be more of a risk I knocked the bottle over hit 4bar yeast last longer slow reaction. A 1kg bag sugar what 55p a tin of active yeast 39p get the Balance right can last more than a week c acid eBay say 700g fiver 1kg b carb fiver =10 faster reaction auto feed good psi yeast slower reaction 2bar last longer each to there own yeast works for me.

Last edited:
Yeah I used this before I used the kit too a lot better than making your own no leaks. It's really good as it auto feeds the acid to the b carb but not sure what you mean by controllable? I believe it or not went back to the yeast i personally found the acid to be more of a risk I knocked the bottle over hit 4bar yeast last longer slow reaction. A 1kg bag sugar what 55p a tin of active yeast 39p get the Balance right can last more than a week c acid eBay say 700g fiver 1kg b carb fiver =10 faster reaction auto feed good psi yeast slower reaction 2bar last longer each to there own yeast works for me.

Yeah I used this before I used the kit too a lot better than making your own no leaks. It's really good as it auto feeds the acid to the b carb but not sure what you mean by controllable? I believe it or not went back to the yeast i personally found the acid to be more of a risk I knocked the bottle over hit 4bar yeast last longer slow reaction. A 1kg bag sugar what 55p a tin of active yeast 39p get the Balance right can last more than a week c acid eBay say 700g fiver 1kg b carb fiver =10 faster reaction auto feed good psi yeast slower reaction 2bar last longer each to there own yeast works for me. I suggest if you buy the kit it will do you well for the money I suggest playing about with it u don't want to kill any fish theses are not like bottle co2 kits where you have little worry the needle valve that comes standard with this is not the best I thought I turn it off and it leaked the co2 over night could kill someone fish luck I did not have any you might want to update the diffuser get a bubble counter and a better needle valve play about to get it right your need to test for c02 to make sure you have enough to feed the plants and not kill any fish good lighting helps too.

I started with yeast CO2 when I got into this hobby.
I've done the math and know that it is viable for my 340 litres tank
by using a 3 bottles system with 1 kg of sugar in each.
With a bottle getting renewed every week, the cost is 4 kg
of sugar a month. And with a normally-open solenoid and a timer,
I can get CO2 injected into the tank during lighting time and let the CO2
out into the atmosphere at night automatically.

In the end, I switched to a pressurised system because it's more
convenient with the same operation cost. But yeast CO2 is still
practical for a big tank.

Last edited:
With me being new to planted aquariums I think the yeast option is more feasible at the moment. I quite liked the system that's he used although I would defo add a drop checker. The pressure he got seemed to enable the use of a ceramic diffuser which I've read is better but I would porobably position it under my canister filter intake.
Thinking about scrapping my hood that came with the tank and customising one do I can have double t5s or t8s aswell.
I did see a video of someone using 2x LED outdoor spot lights to good effect so possibly another option, less heat etc etc

With me being new to planted aquariums I think the yeast option is more feasible at the moment. I quite liked the system that's he used although I would defo add a drop checker. The pressure he got seemed to enable the use of a ceramic diffuser which I've read is better but I would porobably position it under my canister filter intake.
Thinking about scrapping my hood that came with the tank and customising one do I can have double t5s or t8s aswell.
I did see a video of someone using 2x LED outdoor spot lights to good effect so possibly another option, less heat etc etc
I used the diy kit on a 120l with a good valve to shut off of an evening good pressure and a diffuser drop checker worked well.

Was this with yeast Ray?

I'll need to have a look online. Should I just type co2 kit into eBay or something?

How much is this yeast set up going to end up costing? I bet for very similar money you can get a more reliable system which requires much less hassle.

Second hand full CO2 every time for me I'm afraid.

If you need a CO2 bottle I have an empty sodastream bottle which you can have for the cost of postage assuming where you can refill / exchange it local to you?

Back