• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ludwigai mini super red??

Fran

Hi all, have just purchased some Ludwigia mini super red in an in-vitro state. I want to attach it to a redmoor tree scape I have set up. I was wondering if any forum members have any experience with this plant. I may use super glue but am worried about the visible white residue ruining the look of the tree. I also have some ADA wood tight which seems to be similar to gardening wire. I would love to know if anybody has experience of this plant and could advise me the best way to proceed. Cheers.

Hi Fran
Nice little plant you have selected....my first concern is that the stems are very soft and delicate, so you may have trouble tying too the wood without bruising or damage!
I would cultivate them further in a emersed pot....with some aquatic substrate or John Innes No3 compost then you will have more robust stems to play with.
Cheers
hoggie

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to crack on with getting them in the tank. I suppose I'll have to have a good look at the stems. I have seen a You Tube video where there are some very small plants attached to the wood. I'll try to find it and post it here.

Last edited:
Nice idea!
Very healthy Ludwigia super mini red!
You could tie some Java moss over the stems with sewing thread!
You could also use Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' .....these would be easier to work with.
hoggie

Last edited:
In the scape video Filipe Oliveira (amazing aquascaper) mentions using nylon line (eg, fishing) tied gently so as not to damage stems, tree was an actual bonsai that had died & was given to them to use.

Thanks for the inspiration :D ... now I just need to wait for 1-2-Grow L red to show up ;)

Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' - these leaves are so much bigger than L palustris

Leaves and colour indicate Ludw. mini red/palustris, to me. Alternanthera usually have more pink-red colour, this is orange-red. Leaves of Alternantheta will grow considerably longer, than those of Ludw. mini red/palustris.
If nutrients are adequate in water-column, you can use both - since both can thrive acceptable. Be aware, though, that both Ludwigia's and Alternanthera's will produce a lot of "aerial roots", growing this way. Those can be pinched away, of ypu find them unattractive.

Back