• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

That's a pitty Tim.. :( all looked awsome.... I already did do my share of brainsorming on higher flow in a shallow scape.. It indeed is a challange to take into account while still in dry scape stage.. In my last build i'm using a duckbill outlet, and i must say if i ever build something simmular shallow i definitely will go for a duckbill.. They create a verry natural shaped surface flow and can be directed.. I even found a set in acrilyc to combine with a acrylic pipe to make it aestheticly more pleasing.

Just sharing a thought.. :) on shallow flow.. The acrylic ones are hard to find in right sizes.. Anyway duckbill outlet is definitely worth to take in consideration.. What i like the most is the easy of playing with flow direction..
HTB1VGKOKXXXXXaPXFXXq6xXFXXXk.jpg

Thanks guys...I've also got taps on the filter that allow me to restrict flow, but the problem then is the filter becomes very noisy (it reverberates in the cabinet anyway), so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'll simplify the scape and lower the stump, hopefully then I'll be able to direct the flow through or over it a little more.

It will also mean I'll get more light to the plants...the alternative is £300 for another light and hanging rail etc; I'd like to avoid that expense if I can:rolleyes:

And thanks also Marcel...Now you tell me:p
It'll be something I'll definitely keep in mind, and if it still doesn't work I'll be on the look out for. I could also do with a surface skimmer inlet, but the glass/acrylic ones are all too big.

I've also considered abandoning the shallow for now and getting one of these...https://www.seapets.co.uk/aqua-one-aquaopti-85-glass-aquarium-47242

We'll see;)

I'm using such a prefilter with an dc 12 volt pump and a pwm motor controller to reuce the pump capacity.. Have to same 12 volt pump in my sump also with a pwm controler.. Of you have a AC220 volt pump try one of these voltage regulators to reduce pump speed..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391187676366?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I'm not experienced with this type of AC controler yet, but they work with Variac principle so the pump most stay sillent when dimmed down with this.. Using regular dimmers which use reverse phase control make AC motors go with a noisy hum.. But variacs regulate voltage and then motor stays silent. I've used Variac to reduce AC pump speed and it works OK. But it wasn't the abovee variac.

I find using an inline atomiser and/or heater really reduces flow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow thanks guys for all the suggestions...
I have Edwin, it was top of my list, it'd also double as a CO2 reactor.
However, the Eheim I'm using has 12/16mm tubing, the booster has 16/22mm.
I might still get one and use reducers - I've had to add the atomizer to the outflow; my filter didn't cope very well with it on the inlet. But it largely depends on how bad the fizzy lemonade effect is;)

I've had the same problem with my lily pipe before.I now use extra suckers on it.
http://charterhouse-aquatics.com/sh...76-78-parts/eheim-hose-clips-and-suckers-16mm ;).
After seeing Roy's,probably going to get one myself,eventually :lol:,but with a TMC stand.
I think I may have the lily pipe sorted now. I've cut the tubing shorter so the weight of the in-line heater should keep it up right and in place.
I'll take yours, Roys, and Ryans word on the tank...they seem amazing value for money and, bonus, it'll fit my IKEA hacked stand perfectly:)

Real shame mate, would a glass spray bar be an option to disperse the flow less fiercely ?
Thanks Tim, packing the filter with media seems to have worked and the filter is so much quieter as well.
I've also managed to direct the flow through a hole in the stump and although the flow is not so fierce its pattern actually seems to be better.

I'm using such a prefilter with an dc 12 volt pump and a pwm motor controller to reuce the pump capacity.. Have to same 12 volt pump in my sump also with a pwm controler.. Of you have a AC220 volt pump try one of these voltage regulators to reduce pump speed..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391187676366?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I'm not experienced with this type of AC controler yet, but they work with Variac principle so the pump most stay sillent when dimmed down with this.. Using regular dimmers which use reverse phase control make AC motors go with a noisy hum.. But variacs regulate voltage and then motor stays silent. I've used Variac to reduce AC pump speed and it works OK. But it wasn't the abovee variac.
Another great idea...I'm sure it's relatively simple to do for a man of your incredible talents, but I'd probably blow myself up and set fire to the house:eek:

I find using an inline atomiser and/or heater really reduces flow Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do make a difference, and I already have both plumbed in thanks;)

And thanks also PARAGUAY and Roy, I'm now more hopeful:D
The scape has been simplified, and I may have lost some tension and drama...but I just want a quiet life now:rolleyes:

And on that note...I'm never doing that again...I can't recommend enough that no one else tries it eithero_O that is unless you enjoy playing with mud pies and turning your house in to the Somme:meh:
The clean version...the dirty version is far too graphic for a family type forum:eek:
26707227921_b5e38933cd_c.jpg
I'll post another shot of it filled when visibility improves...

Still looking awsome, actualy, i would need to hold both pics together to see the difference.. Lets hope this will work out.. :thumbup:

Btw thanks for the compliment, but it aint so difficult and is easier then it looks.. ;) Anyway if you're not confident and can't manage another to fix it for you. Keep an eye open for a garage sail for these.. They come with powerplugs, one for the mains and one ore more for the connected devices..
http://www.elektrodump.nl/nl/variac...afo-regeltransformator-autotransformator.html
I have one of these, used it for regulating the fan motor for car exhaust extraction from the garage.. I also used it to regulate pump speed of an aquarium filter. These keep the motor silent. A bit clusmy and big model, but if you're not into diy the only option. :thumbup: Anyway if you ever see one in a bargain sale or second hand then you know what it does. :) Spending €65 on a new one for regulating the filter might be a bit to much..

Whilst I'm waiting for the water to clear, I had a go at a mini Wabi-Kusa in a whiskey tumbler...tumbler being the operative word...remember the weebles? - That's what this tumbler's designed to do, but not too well, I once lost a valuable mouthful of single malt, never again:arghh:

Now it contains Rotala bonsai instead...a much safer bet:D

26525846720_9ce87586aa_c.jpg

Haha...you remember them too...:)

An old one, but the oldies are always the best...apologies in advance anyway:D

A herd of cows and two bulls are eating grass out in the pasture.
Suddenly, a great gust of wind comes ripping across the prairie and knocks all the cows to the ground. But, the bulls just sway in the wind and continue eating.
When the wind quiets down, the cows stand up, brush off the dirt, and start eating again.
A bit later, one cow looks up just in time to see a tornado tearing through the pasture fence. The tornado knocks the cows every which way, but the bulls just rock back and forth as they are buffeted.
When the cows get back on their feet and pick the straw out of their hide, they all walk over to the bulls.
One cow says, "Why do we cows get knocked over by wind but you bulls keep standing?"
The two bulls laugh and reply, "We bulls wobble, but we don't fall down."

I guess as foreinger you need to know what wobling weebles are before picking up on the clue of the joke? :hilarious: Seeing the commercial i think i know now where adhd children come from.. jees thes weebles are nervious.. :rolleyes:

Well i guess back then designers didn't take the joke part in human nature very seriuously.. This toy realy invites a bully joke.. I know a few weebles myself to now you mention.. :lol: Kinda like the sound of it.. "You Weeble!"

Back