• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to grow round clumps

Easternlethal

Does anyone know how to make these round clumps in the foreground?

Here's what I mean. An example from Monsieur Barr...
3027cfee11cbbc5aa5236924bd2c3405.jpg

Would be interested to hear suggestions for plants/moss and planting/setting techniques for similar looks.
thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Riccia pearls beautifully but I always thought that it doesn't attach or grow well and tufts tend to float away..

At least that has been my experience.

what is the substrate? because i also found that over time it can lose its shape if made of soil..

Hi With the riccia I tied clumps of riccia to bits of lead and let it grow out from there. With constant trimming you can stop it floating off. Another problem if the top gets to thick the plant mass below will die off so its a fine balance.
Wabi-Kusa balls should not fall apart the moss and plant roots should hold things in place. Or you could use stocking place the substrate in and make a ball the size you want then cut tie a knot and add moss around the outside and plant other plants through the stocking.

Thats mini pelia.If you push it into a rocks and crevices in little clumps it will grow in clumps. Here is mine.
87C4D083-21C7-4CE2-90A0-4554A5ED37DD_zps5s9bjl0y.jpg

Very nice.. i have something similar but a much darker shade of green that grows pretty slowly so I've had trouble identifying it. I did try to push it into a crevice but it just floated out.

How do you secure it and does it require a lot of trimming?

Very nice.. i have something similar but a much darker shade of green that grows pretty slowly so I've had trouble identifying it. I did try to push it into a crevice but it just floated out.

How do you secure it and does it require a lot of trimming?
I have used super glue in some instances with good effect. It grows slow so very little trimming if any. Once every 6 weeks etc. I just break off clumps and shove it into holes in the rock. It's got a rough texture in my tank.

Back