• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

200l Filter idea?

Ryan Young

Hi all,
I have been thinking about changing my filter for my 200l tank, at the moment I have a Fluval 306 in it but am thinking about changing/ upgrading.
The 306 is a good filter, it has kept my tank clean and have had no major problems with it but just doesn't seem to be powerful enough for a 200l planted.
Any suggestions on a good (powerful) filter?
Cheers

Fluvals are great ive a FX5 on my fish only Jewel Vision 450, in my opion it would be great on a planted 200L, i dont know if there is glassware made that big though

Ryan,

I've recently bought an Ehiem Pro 3 350T. Its stated as 1000lph and having the filter in and out in the same corner seems to result in good circulation around the tank. I'll probably get shouted at for saying this but I think the 10x flow theory is a bit silly. i agree good circulation is required, just not sure about the massive flow rates. also smaller filters are a bit cheaper!

If your water params are fine and its only extra flow your after.Have you thought about circulation pumps?Would be a lot cheaper and less hassel.

I'll probably get shouted at for saying this but I think the 10x flow theory is a bit silly
Shouting.:rolleyes:..the x10 rule flow rate is based upon the filters manufacturers quoted rate, which is really just the pump head rate. The x10 rule takes into account actual flow rate with filter media in the filter and will be considerably less maybe as much as a quarter of the quoted rate.

Below is the actual rates for JBL filters with media in, it will be (and I know it is) considerably less once dirty.
eseriesflow_zps099fb171.jpg

Hi all,
The x10 rule takes into account actual flow rate with filter media in the filter and will be considerably less maybe as much as a quarter of the quoted rate.
If you have your filter in the cabinet below the tank you lose a lot of flow. I have my filters next to the tanks, which leads to cavitation if the hoses get dirty, or the pre-filter needs a clean, but means that you get a lot more flow (due to short hoses).

People spend a lot of time arguing about <"hydraulic head height"> and closed systems, but it is length, kinks in, and cleanliness of the hose that makes the difference.

cheers Darrel

Ian, not refuting what your saying, i don't think i was clear in my meaning of the 10x flow rate. i was referring to the recommendation of a circulation rate of 10x tank capacity i.e. 200l tank and circulating 2000lph 'through' it (whether this is by filters, flow pumps or a combination thereof). just appears to drive people towards buying expensive kit thats OTT for the size of tank they have.

I still think you are confused.

The x10 flow rate is the "on the box" filter rate, not the in the tank rate. Thus a 1500litre/hour JBL1500 is fine in a 150litre planted tank even though the actual flow rate you will get with filter media and any dirt is possibly only 600litres/hour or less.

I've had a Fluval 405, an Aqua One and currently use a JBL e1501. I prefer the JBL and can highly recommend the E1501, good flow rate and really well made.

Back