• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Hermetosphere

zozo

Sounds like a new Marvel Comic character.. :lol:

But it is actualy a hermetically sealed, self-sufficient Ecosystem. In her life carefully compossed perennial flora and fauna communities. A totally sealed off self organisation of life which leads to an autonomous metabolism and a dynamic balance between different organism inside the Hermetosphere..

No watering required.. :)

Hermetospheres can be totally self supporting for decades.

Simply stunning.. :thumbup:

http://ulfsoltau.wix.com/hermetospheres

Marcel, looks kool!

I've got a wabi kusa like that. I wonder how they manage trims without opening jar??

Which language is that website. I want to translate it.

It's German Rebel.. :) Last year i did a beer glass like that and kept it close for months, i noticed plants stay rather miniature and do not realy grow but stay healthy. I opend the glass 2 months ago and all still was relative in the same size.. That this could go on for years i didn't know, but anyway after opening it i got a fungus infection short after. But parts of it are still alive to day. :)

Remarkable actualy that plants pick it up that they are in some sort of micro bubble and addapt in size.. Would like to know if this was ever studied and monitored what for example the gass exchange does in such a micro climate. It must be a constant recycle of oxygen and co2.. And if there are some kinds of hormones released to prevent growth.

Hi all,
I want to translate it.
Google translate wouldn't translate it, possibly because it is some sort of Wiki format.
Last year i did a beer glass like that and kept it close for months,
I've got a two litre glass sweet-jar, with a screw lid, that I planted 15 years ago, and I've probably only watered it ~twice since planting.

It lays on its side, and I wouldn't describe it as aesthetically pleasing, but it the plants seem healthy.

The planting was Java Fern and Java Moss, partially because my daughter had it in her room when she was little, and I wanted things that wouldn't die and upset her.

cheers Darrel

Yes @Greenfinger2 i remeber that awsome retort, that's also one of the most stunning WK i've ever seen.. Good to hear you still have it running.. Maybe @dw1305 finds this topic and can tell us more how plants manage to do this in such a small micro climate. :) Very intresting propperty..

Oh btw got the link from Evelyn :) she posted it at the neighbours forum.. :thumbup:

I've got a two litre glass sweet-jar, with a screw lid, that I planted 15 years ago, and I've probably only watered it ~twice since planting.

It lays on its side, and I wouldn't describe it as aesthetically pleasing, but it the plants seem healthy.

The planting was Java Fern and Java Moss, partially because my daughter had it in her room when she was little, and I wanted things that wouldn't die and upset her.

cheers Darrel

Haha hey Darrel.. :) I was hoping you would find this.. This crossed my previes reply.. how funny.. :)
Do you know if this is ever studied and what happens in such a glass? 15 years?? Never knew that was possible..

Hi all,
Maybe @dw1305 finds this topic and can tell us more how plants manage to do this in such a small micro climate.
I'd be dubious if they are gas tight, theoretically they could just continually re-cycle the oxygen and carbon dioxide. Presumably there is a small loss of carbon (from the substrate?) to allow the plants some growth.

I assume in my case there is some gas exchange, even through the sealed lid of my jar. If I wanted to have a sealed container that lasted longest I'd have a reasonable amount of carbon based substrate, low light and plant it with a moss.

cheers Darrel

Interesting, I was thinking that I had N deficiency as the HM was staying really small. AR mini went crazy though needing trimming after 3 months. I should post a pic of mine when I get a chance.

Wonderfully bonkers...:)
It's the sort of collection I imagine an eccentric Victorian gentleman naturalist might amass in his study.

It is indeed.. And looks like a mad scientists workshop. :)

What caught my eye is that he also had a few with Carnivores, Droseras in it. :) That raises some questions.
I guess springtails are essential in such a setup, providing some food?

They are the same jars from the original post, is it 3 years on or an old video?
So cool, I love the little round jar.

is it 3 years on or an old video?

I really don't know but the publishing date of the video is December 2016. The publishing dates still don't tell when it was shot. In relation to the OP that would be published 6 months apart?.

Anyway, one of my mates is a High School Chemistry Teacher. He lately was talking about and showing his newly bought livingroom cabinet and asked for ideas and decoration alternatives.

Guess what, i showed him this and he immediately took the bite. He will dive into the Laboratory glassware storage room and find something intriguing (At least what he feels is). Deliver it at my doorstep and i get a free pass to do plant it up.

Can't wait to see what kinda laboratory glassware he's going to pull from the closet.

Can’t wait to see what you plant in it :D
Can you use any plants or are some more suited than others?

Back