• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Tech Guidance

Not every having kept Discus its interesting to read that according to Tony-Chens Discus and Mark Evenden providing the source they can be kept happily in tap water,Tony imports from Asia and retails ,shows and breeds them all kept in tapwater ,strong fish is the key to success and goes out to inspect before import.I often read Marks new to Discus guides and European Discus are very tolerant of hard and soft water

Hi, thanks for your response, but who are you addressing with your comment?

Hi Mark it was you and probably of interest to others I somehow got my comment in your quote and when I edited it the quote disappeared. Just a couple of articles from two Discus experts. Thought what I had read might be of interest in that Tony Chen sources is Discus from Asia keeps in tap water and Mark Evenden has wrote a couple of articles about not like it used to be it RO water not a necessity although I agree Wild Discus from South America it would be necessary,I think Mark Evendens speciallity is hardy European Discus

Update: I now have several Anubias plants and Valisneria spiralis in the aquarium. There are new leaves growing out of both of these plants, however the leaves are much smaller and also, in the case of the new Anubias leaves that are growing through, they are lighter in colour.

I feel that the smaller leaves are understandable due to the low wattage light (please correct me if I'm wrong) however I did feel that the Anubias leaves would show more symptoms of iron uptake by showing more chlorophyll. I am using Eheim Ferrous Fertiliser 250ml as my source of micro-nutrients. Is this a suitable micro-nutrient brand for water with a kH of 4 dH, a gH of 6 dH and a pH (after co2 injection) of 7.0?

@PARAGUAY, I don't have access to RO water so cannot lower my gH.

new Anubias leaves that are growing through, they are lighter in colour.

I got this too as well in the low tech as in the high tech, first time evr i grew anubias, but i guess it;s typical for this plant and the will get darker as they mature.. In my case they do.. :)

Back