• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Holiday- North Devon Valley of Rocks... Gathering stone

Ryan Young

Hi all,
I am taking a holiday and went for a walk starting from the valley of the rocks to lynton and lynmouth and then back. On the way back I decided to take advantage of the amount of broken stone available and took some back.
I tested the stone using vinegar and no bubbling etc.
I also chipped a piece and no problems.
The rock is shale I believe and there are mixed responses to if it is safe or not and do not want to take a un needed risk.
I will attach a picture of the rock and the area but just need to know if people think the stone is safe?
628206d2edffcb577685b5e8abd6842d.jpg
a1fd472a41f876a6eae211bf8dc9bec3.jpg
2e052d2d8b5ff540af743b83b3641b66.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No mining history as far as i can tell, i could only see one article of the geography, i think it might be a shale/ slate perhaps however will wait until i am home to test it more as when put in a container of water it went a brown/ yellow colour like tannins so am wary of using it

nice looking scape on that photo.... :p

Looks safe to me. Can you flake it easily with a knife?

No, doesn't flake easily. Think I am going to collect some more tomorrow but will test ph etc. When i am at home

I will attach a picture of the rock and the area but just need to know if people think the stone is safe?

Hi Ryan,

So you are taking rocks from a National Trust zone (I know that exact spot of your photo) and protected area (Exmoor National Park)... you naughty boy... :twisted: :lol: :lol:

These are siltstones, but you can find also there some slates and sandstones. In terms of impact for water chemistry, I would expect not much effect. Siltstones are formed mainly by silicates and various clays, cemented whether by quartz (as product of hydro-thermal processes) or by calcite, or both. As they can have calcite, they could have some effect in the kH of the water, but I would expect to this impact being much reduced than using other kinds of rocks, in the worst case.

Cheers,

Manuel

Thanks Manuel, didn't realise it was protected I read a geography article saying it was allowed if they were loose but could have been further up. Cheers for all the helpful info, will give them a good wash over a few times

Thanks Manuel, didn't realise it was protected I read a geography article saying it was allowed if they were loose but could have been further up. Cheers for all the helpful info, will give them a good wash over a few times

You are welcome Ryan! No worries about from where they are. As you say, one thing is taking lose rocks, other one go with a hammer and crack the monument. I was more teasing you than anything else. ;) Glad to help, though. :)

Okay got back and broke one using a hammer only after a few hits (it was a thin stone out of them all, possibly 5cm in height) which concerned me a bit as I am not sure if they are meant to break so easily. Used white vinegar to test the one which I broke and no fizzing including the sound but as one chipped and broke that easily is it still safe to assume they are safe?

How is the shape after breaking? I mean, when you broke it, it took form of sheets, irregular or rather than that conchoidal? Most probable case, if broke easily, it is that you took then a slate. The one in the photo, though, it seems still a siltstone to me, but perhaps is just an slate with some eroded sides.

Cheers,
Manuel

Back