• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lost beginner

Then Elodea or Egeria is one of your best options, the cheapest beginner plants around.. You don't even need to plant it in the substrate. Just throw it in and let it float it grows equaly well in many conditions and perfect as temporary plantmass alternative.. Actualy a matter of taste of course, but a nice healthy bush of elodea is quite atractive as well. Depending on where it's bought in pond shops it usualy is Elodea canadensis and in aquarium or pet stores Egeria densa both often offered as just Elodea or pondweed. :)

It grows like crazy there for it's so cheap and a once in a life time buy if you wish.. So you do not need to buy a lot and it doesn't take much patience till you have enough or maybe even to much.. :thumbup:

Ok so today I have trimmed and replanted some cabomba to try and help my situation for now and this is what it looks like

image.jpg

image.jpg

image hosting over 5mb

As per everyone's advice I have reduced the lighting to one tube with reflector with a single 5 hour period, I am continuing dosing 4ml tnc complete daily and have done another 50% water change. Will continue large water changes for the next couple of weeks to try and keep algae down.

I will also look at my budget and see what I can realistically afford to buy plant wise

Hi nelson I've been scrubbing at it a while and it's very stubborn stuff although each time I do get a bit more off of it,

I am interested in your offer of cuttings what would I do with emerged cuttings?

Do you think they would be better off floating for a bit in the second tank I set up which doesn't have algae problem?

I'd just plant them in your tank and see how they do.You could leave some floating.

Speaking of floating, any floating plants would also help too. Frog bit or whatever else is available where you are....

Speaking of floating, any floating plants would also help too. Frog bit or whatever else is available where you are....

That's one of the things I had thought about but wasn't sure what I was likely to find or wether it would be suitable e.g from a pond/reservoir/loch etc.

Hi guys A big big thank you goes to nelson who provided me with some nice plants to help fill up my tank

Maintenance just now is 50% daily water change and e.i dosing

You can click on the pictures to make them bigger

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image uploader

Hi folk
I'm looking for help with the names of the new plants

I think I have ludwigia palustrus, bacopa?, rotala rotundifolia "ceylon" and hydroctyle tripartita and the others I'm clueless

Last edited:
Thanks Neil I'm just curious that's all things seem to be doing well.

I rigged up some diy co2 on the small grow out tank using the silicone airline and check valve I had sitting there from when I removed my air pump from my main tank though with a 15w tube not sure how well it will do, grow out tank has soil capped with gravel, ei dosing with tnc complete and diy co2 into filter inlet, drop checker showing lime green/yellow.

Hi guys I was wondering if I should use a twin spray bar set up and do away with the standard fluval 406 outlets for better flow in my tank or stick with what I have and add a powerhead?

Hows it going Darren ?.
You could have a spray bar going the length of the tank ;).

Still off work so not good, however tank is doing ok but growth is slow but I have a 5hr light period one t5 and have now since removed the reflector and things seem to be better but still bga on substrate in the centre due to sunlight I think, water changes are every two days 50% removing hardware, scrubbing the glass and cleaning filter sponges trying to reduce organic matter

The small tank I set up with diy co2 is doing great the small amount of cuttings I put in there have bulked up and is now ready for cutting and replanting which should fill the remaining space in that tank and I'll let it grow out again and use it to increase plant stock in my bigger tank.

Yes it works very well

two differences really compared to big tank one it has compost capped with gravel and co2

I have managed to sell a few things I no longer use around the house and have today bought myself a co2 kit from co2art with an 80mn diffuser.
http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...products/advance-complete-aquarium-co2-system

I would have liked to have bought the kit with better reg, inline atomiser and ph controller but that will have to wait until I can get back to work and I can use this kit on my small tank or sell it on later

P.s could a mod move this to journals please as I would like to keep updating this for other people to see me moving (hopefully) forward with my tanks and let other begginers see the issues I've been having

Back