• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Large Discus Tank Equipment

Henry

Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted, but I can already feel the obsessive posting urge coming back!

I've been blessed with the opportunity to set up a customer's 8'x2'x2' (or something like that). Volume is roughly 1000L She's opted for a planted discus display. My idea is something low-tech, as maintenance must be kept to a minimum other than water changes and filter cleans. Thankfully the budget is pretty open.

I've opted for 2x FX6, 2x Eheim Jaeger 300w. The tank currently has 6x 54w T5s on an Arcadia controller. I'm considering either using 3 daylight and 3 "colour" bulbs, or using some form of LED setup. Any suggestions?

I'm also intrigued as to your opinions on substrate choice. I'll be using a foreground of open sand, but mid/foreground will be fairly heavily planted with Echinodorus, Cryptocoryne etc. I need to use something nutrient rich, but able to maintain stable enough parameters for discus.

I have my ideas already, but on a project this size, it's always a good idea to get other people's opinions.

Well depending on size of Discus, babies need a few small feeding's a day to achieve potential growth, water changes and filter cleaning's are needed more frequently than Adult Discus.(otherwise stunted,poorly formed fish)
Not really low maint with juveniles in my experience.
If money was of little concern,then Aquasoil with the heavier root feeder's and sand in front.

For a tank that size I would consider a sump once properly setup it's easier to maintain and will do a better job then canister filters, also look at UV steriliser. Also having a sump would mean you can keep any in tank equipment like heaters in the sump so they're not visible in the tank. I've just setup a 350 litre discus tank, I used cal aqua labs green base and black earth premium it's cheaper than ADA soils and tropica soils. I'm really impresses with the combo so far it's been easy to plant it hasn't floated and after 2 weeks the plants are growing really well. I've also got a 190 litre discus tank which has Eco-complete substrate and sand. The clarity of the water and general water conditions are amazing and I think a large part of this is down to the eco-complete substrate, it's also pretty good for planting but the soils mention above are in a different league as far as plant growth goes.

As for lighting if you have a healthy budget there are some great LEDs out there which will use less energy than the 6 T5's. Have a look at Finnex FugeRay Planted+

I do like sumps for their ability to increase the volume of water, and thereby increasing dilution capabilities of organic matter therein.
But they also result In more stuff to keep clean in my view/experience, and not sure I agree that they do a better job than properly sized/maintained canister(s).
Opinion's vary.

The lady is fine with doing twice weekly waterchanges, and I'll be advising she buys an autofeeder and some prima to keep them topped up.
I've kept a 3000L discus tank for over a year now, so I know what's involved, I'm just keen to hear different opinions.

Have you experienced shortcomings in macronutrients with those substrates, or do you find the heavy fish feeding helps contribute?

The lady is fine with doing twice weekly waterchanges, and I'll be advising she buys an autofeeder and some prima to keep them topped up.
I've kept a 3000L discus tank for over a year now, so I know what's involved, I'm just keen to hear different opinions.

Have you experienced shortcomings in macronutrients with those substrates, or do you find the heavy fish feeding helps contribute?

3000l... :eek:

I wannna see the 3000 l or it don't exist.:watching:

Back