• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iwagumi Juwel Vision 180

69Mustang

Seedling
Hi,

I've managed to get my hands on a cheap Juwel Vision 180 and I've always fancied an Iwagumi tank. Unfortunately I haven't got a great eye for design.

rocks_zpsuvinvjip.jpg

Could you guys give me some suggestion on how to arrange the rocks and wood that I have? The top of the tank is level with the top of the outlet.

Thanks.

Hey man I would suggest more rock but it depends on taste. Play around with different designs as much as possible.

Reactions: tim
You can do something with the set of rocks you have but need to elevate them into prominence - you can use cheap lava or whatever local rock (look at landscape, pond etc stone) as the base (or plastic as in the above video) - or gravel etc filled stockings (leave them at a "flexible" point of fill).

Look through the Journal sub-forum for inspiration
Pedro Rosa's Forsaken World has outstanding video & photos (& includesTerraforming :D)

Reactions: tim
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I went to a garden centre to get some of the plastic drainage stuff but they didn't sell it. Anybody know where I can buy if from? I can't really find it on the internet either.

I've gone and brought some rocks to make everything higher. Thoughts?

1new_zpsteqkmbop.jpg

2new_zpsgfwwo2pn.jpg

3new_zpspdjaplc3.jpg

I am the kind of person who really needed to see lots of beautiful scapes before i could understand a small bit of the " eye of design".

Couple tips here;
- Iwagumi stands for rock formation. In the beginning wood was never used but nowadays it is more common but i find it kinda hard so you might go easy on yourself and stick with stone.
- I see lot of people making these cardboard's to try different formations. But for me; i have a lack of natural insight when it comes to scaping and i really need to see the soil and stones in the tank before i can make a clear image if it comes natural or not.
- I made different formations in the tank with soil and made pictures of them and compared them. This is something a lot of people do and it works to see which formation was decent and which simply aren't natural enough
- My last tip is maybe frowned upon but my first post on ukaps was the same question you asked; composition advice. I thought that people could tell me what to do so that i get what i wanted; a fingerlicking iwagumi. I learned that it is better and more rewarding to keep searching what you like about the style so that your image of your iwagumi becomes more clear. Trust yourself and keep making formations till you get that one you really like.

Good luck! :)

I've got a lot more rocks now. Suggestions/feedback much appreciated!

1_zpsrdime1of.jpg

2_zpsi9ayp6g8.jpg

3_zpsupwhy3bd.jpg

Its not easy to see so here are the individual rocks highlighted/

4_zpsivwxlxri.jpg

Fantastic rocks :wideyed:

for a more traditional Iwagumi, try for more separation between the individual rocks, also choose a "focal" point rock

I think it is going to be a nature aquarium rather than a strict iwagumi now.

I've tried to make the tallest rock the focal point; it is exactly 1/3 from the top and left of the tank. I've also tried to make a triangle shape. My composition isn't great but I've been reading a lot of articles and trying to get something with looks right. I'm happy with the first two stones on the left but unsure of the others.

Back