• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another fix to the eheim skim 350

kiddjam

3f161094aee059ac7242e8a9fe865895.jpg

My daughter's rubber band, thin and tiny, i wish the rubber comes in black or grey..

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

I designed my sumps overflows like that and always found loads of baby shrimps in my sump crawling around in the biomedia. I placed a small piece off coarse filtersponge on top as a cap. But still the baby shrimps sneaked in.. Quite a hassle to get them out again and back in the tank. They don't survive for long in the sump biomedia. Now i redisigned it with taking apart an existing filter inlet, took off that basket at the end and placed it upside down over the overflow, i was lucky it had the excact same diameter.
It solved the problem completely.. :)

But @kiddjam i think i know these 15mm rubber bands you used, a friends daughter has bags full of it and knits them into wrist and neck bracelets and all kinds of stuff. They are pretty popular among the girls and see these bags with rubber bands solled everywhere toystores and even tankstations have them sometimes.. I know they also come in black and grey because she made a bracelet for me as well and it has black and grey ones in it.. Here is an example pic it has a black one, i asked her a few spare ones. :) I kinda used them too for alternative purpose because these bands are pretty durable and flexible for their size. :)
DSCF7568.jpg

Last edited:
I only keep shrimp but by putting the skimmer on a timer 1hr on and 1hr off this's gives them time to get out when the skimmer isn't running

I see never had that problem all my fish and shrimp are too big i guess.
I have mine on a timer to run all night skims the surface and aerates the tank too once the co2 is off.

Don't fill your tank with loads of ferts and you won't need one;) retired mine.

I designed my sumps overflows like that and always found loads of baby shrimps in my sump crawling around in the biomedia. I placed a small piece off coarse filtersponge on top as a cap. But still the baby shrimps sneaked in.. Quite a hassle to get them out again and back in the tank. They don't survive for long in the sump biomedia. Now i redisigned it with taking apart an existing filter inlet, took off that basket at the end and placed it upside down over the overflow, i was lucky it had the excact same diameter.
It solved the problem completely.. :)

But @kiddjam i think i know these 15mm rubber bands you used, a friends daughter has bags full of it and knits them into wrist and neck bracelets and all kinds of stuff. They are pretty popular among the girls and see these bags with rubber bands solled everywhere toystores and even tankstations have them sometimes.. I know they also come in black and grey because she made a bracelet for me as well and it has black and grey ones in it.. Here is an example pic it has a black one, i asked her a few spare ones. :) I kinda used them too for alternative purpose because these bands are pretty durable and flexible for their size. :)
View attachment 89272

Thanks zozo, these rubbers are good for fixing anubias to pebble rocks too ;)

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Because ferts cause surface scum?
No, the surface scum is rotting oils and organics leaching from dying and poor health plants. Once you get your plants healthy and settled in you will get no surface scum at all, despite high light, high CO2 and high ferts levels.

This is the sort of thing that bothers me about these big companies that make our equipment..... something so important, yet so trivial to implement hasn't even been considered.

I'd love to speak to the designer of that overflow pipe and ask "Why do you think it was more important to spend however long you did making the notches the shape they are, and not consider the livestock?"

No, the surface scum is rotting oils and organics leaching from dying and poor health plants. Once you get your plants healthy and settled in you will get no surface scum at all, despite high light, high CO2 and high ferts levels.

I've never looked back converting a marine tank to planted and keeping the overflow/sump. My surface is spotless :)

Back