• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Please - New Aquarium (after not being in the hobby for 3 years)

I know patience is a virtue but your experience with EA seems incredibly horrendous - good for you for your perseverance - I really hope they get their ass in gear & sort this out for you :( lovely hardscape so far & you've a good eye for that with the few rough snaps you've taken so far (far better than mine!) The outcome will no doubt be worth all the drama ☺ Best wishes ☺

Thank you, I am not normally this patient with things but have kept busy with partners Terrarium in meantime (New setup for a Leopard Gecko).

Thank you for the notes on the hardscape. I will be playing about more once I can get the soil in as that will change height and perspective but will take photos as I go so have reference and can have comments. (will be in journal once ready to do so).

And thanks for comments on snaps. It is not even a new iPhone, its an old iPhone 5 so camera is rather poor in honesty. Mate has a 4k camera so will try and borrow that for some better ones later on during setup.

Regards,

Adam

Big update:

The cabinet is in, the correct one and not damaged!! The old one is in shed awaiting for Charterhouse to organise with EA a collection date for it. I have no packaging because the box from the new cabinet was battered again, however no damage at all on tank so that is fine.

The next issue though...I decided, OK lets get the filter up and running and make sure it is level, no leaks and all works etc. Got it up Saturday night. Left the water to heat overnight as just used cold from tap since nothing in it at moment.

Woke up Sunday and dipped hand in water, it's still cold or at least not at room temperature even yet (it's always around 22-23 degree in house without heating on). Check filter looks like it's running fine. Have a thought, what filter is this? I bet it's the Eheim 2080 not the Eheim 2180 :/

Get's in loft, checks box now as kinda silly me assumed someone could pick the right one and it just says Eheim Pro III in big writing. Yeah OK so it's the wrong filter but it's set up now. I think here we go, this will be an argument with Charterhouse as I should of checked it better and spotted but the filters are the same with different pump heads.

So I dropped an email Sunday morning to their general email and copy Nick in while on holiday to keep him in the loop and also to say that EA can pick up cabinet when they want.

Well 8pm Sunday night (online & office closed weekend and store is closed Sunday) so not expecting anyone to see anything but what is this I have an email from Charterhouse and not just an automated response. Low and behold the Managing Director of Charterhouse, Ryan has emailed me a reply.

In short he has emailed apologising after reading through all my correspondence and can see that this has been a complete shambles from start to "almost" finish. His offer was to keep the current filter and provide a hefty price reduction for me to use an external heater or that he would check stock this morning for the 2180 to dispatch that prior to collecting the current one so I can keep the setup running in the meantime.

What this would mean is that I could actually just swap the filter pump heads over as the rest is all the same (canister, inlets, outlets etc) and that way they would still have a new unit with nothing cut up and ready for them to put back into stock circulation. It has only ran for 12 hours so can't see that being an issue.

I really have appreciated Charterhouse stepping up on this. At the start of all this their communication was a little slow and generic and no one was interested but after my 2nd conversation with them and Nick picking things up they have in fairness been great at sorting out my issues. I just hope there isn't anymore to come.

I have got my Charterhouse points on account ready to order the Tropica plants once I know what I am getting and for them to finish listing everything Tropica on their site.

After this update I will finally be able to start a journal next weekend :)

Regards,

Adam

Maybe possible by just removing the Shut - off valve block, and replacing with the Eheim 2180..12000LXT.
hoggie

Can do but the canister with the water and media could remain because they are the same as well so as you say remove the shut-off valve and then take pump head off. Put new on and reconnect and will be good to go.

That way the new 2180 canister, tubes, booklets etc are all still packed and clean/new so can place in the 2080 box to be collected. It is from my understanding the same pump head too in reality and they just don't install the heater on the 2080 but do on the 2180 so shouldn't be an issue.

Regards,

Adam

Aye. That's the plan.

Well yeah removal and replacement will be fine. Just didn't see the point in moving the media basket from one green box to the other which are exactly the same.

The pump head comes off the canister as one piece and so the canister can sit there with the media and water in.

Disconnect the inlet/outlet quick release. Unclip the pump head from canister. Place new pump head onto existing canister and clip in the quick release inlet/outlet. Push the prime and should be going fine.

The new canisters and media tray are the same and the whole pump head unit is what's different from them.

Regards,

Adam

It is in the pump head not the canister

eheim_pro3_8.jpg

So remove this but leave the canister in place

20620167a.jpg

Aye, yeah. It would keep it lovely and simple. Just need it here and hope it works haha.

Still means I can stop the wood floating and finish cleaning my current stone down although have kind of gone off my Dragon stone so might get rid and try something else now.

I have to say that the Matt finish that EA are using for their cabinets are excellent with great fingerprint reduction properties considering the doors are push click. If they had got this all OK the first time and had better communication or at least handled the situation better when the mistake was picked up then I would have a complete different view point. This cabinet has no issues and I said before that the aquarium itself is spot on.

I would say that if they can sort out new QA procedures, communication & delivery procedures then they could be onto something. For now I would suggest looking at someone else if you are looking for a similar cabinet/aquarium setup. Charterhouses own custom tanks look awesome but cost way too much because of their design.

I mean their tank & cab is £4k for the same size is a lot to swallow. The 45 degree mitre, aluminium cab with glass finish though would be amazing. Maybe that will be my upgrade in a number of years. Although if anyone is looking out for a tank similar they have an ex demo for £1400 plus delivery which I think if EA had messed up again I would have returned this aquarium and picked up myself tbh.

Regards,

Adam

So filter is sorted. They have dropped the new off this morning, took 2 mins to switch out and have repackaged the wrong one which is being collected this afternoon.

EA haven't contact either myself or Charterhouse about collection of the old cabinet but the new one does look good and am pleased that I got them switched over even with the hassle.

Other than that, it is awaiting soil and then deciding on hardscape this week with the stainless steel inlet/outlet and background to be ordered on the 5th October (pay day).

Regards,

Adam

A couple of photos from my mobile on where we are at. Wood is being weighed down at moment so hopefully will be all good in a week or so without needing rock on it. The left light still needs lowering to match the right and am tempted to drop another inch still but shall see.

3SwhQLo.jpg

xlrpHNl.jpg

Glad to see you are eventually getting sorted out after all your difficulties with EA. I am sure it is going to look fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G925F

Next small update in regards to collection of the wrong cabinet.

EA called me Thursday (29th September) to say they had spoken to Charterhouse who they say placed the order wrong with the colour and the cutouts which contradicts what Chaterhouse said. After that EA say they spoke to Ryan at Charterhouse who was going to dispatch a new packaging box on Thursday so I can get it ready and arrange EA to pick up direct.

Comes to this morning with no box by 10am so send an email saying whats happening for no one from Charterhouse to reply so call them at 4pm to find out it's been ignored and that they never sent any packaging because they didn't have any to send and only now have they got some as if by magic.

I have told them the cabinet has to be gone by 9am tomorrow or it will be left by the side of the road as my partner as stated has moved in and we have order other items that arrive tomorrow where this cabinet is currently stored.

I don't know what is going to come of it but I have finally had enough of the lies and inability both companies have shown and told them they can sort it out between them as it has nothing to do with me.

Sorry not been on here but there has been nothing happening. Charterhouse claimed they were getting the Tropica stuff in a month on 18th September and still have not. I cannot order from anywhere else as they have £395 in credit on my account with them so can't just spend it anywhere else.

I have since had to go for TMC soil which they got in stock today. It isn't what I wanted but have given up and they had nothing else I wanted to spend the monies on to get things going.

With that I have also been busy at home, my tenants have moved out so just me and misses there now. She lost her job as store closed so things are slowing right down. I am off next Thursday & Friday so should anything turn up next week I will be able to get the soil in and work out some starts to hardscape. However the rocks I had were too algea covered to use and treating them wouldn't be worth time so got to sort out some hardscape as well over weekend.

Honestly it hasn't gone well so far.

sorry to hear of your partner's job loss - that's always tough

No TMC soil here but I know that George Farmer has used it with his usual success - think maybe there's a recent set up video ...

I suppose if you're not keen on it, you could always look to trade for Tropica at a shop that sells both (you'd likely have to call around for a shop that will do this)

No rock is too algae covered - just place in a dilute bleach solution overnight, rinse well, run through dishwasher to remove residual algae - if there is any - you can just scrub with a brush at this stage if you actually use your dishwasher ;)

I've also a tank rescape that has completely stalled what with one thing & another - frustrating - just trying to remain focused on other stuff until I can get the parts sorted :)

Cheers Alto,

The problem with soil is just frustrating but at least it will move forward. Just waiting for it to be dispatched now.

And yeah they can of course be cleaned but the Dragon stone is such a pain to clean out because of the surface. a bleach dilution wouldn't be great I don't think because it's just a dense clay really. And I don't have a dishwasher either ;)

I feel however that I want to switch over to Seiryu Stone anyways so a good reason to do so now. Am working up a plant list to buy in bulk at moment. I have Thursday and Friday off so hoping I can get my hardscape started this week.

Thank you for kind words on the misses. Just bad timing right before xmas cause no one really hiring at moment in local area which is frustrating.

What can I say,

The soil arrived......however it arrived as such;

UwqecEA.jpg

t3p3dfV.jpg

Sorry about blur but am in rage mode. Nick is on email trying to sort it at moment but it's just the hassle especially when I am currently painting the living room at moment.

Back