• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Tech Iwagumi

as previous poster mentioned, will this be filtered?
There will be filtration. I feel there at least needs to be some flow and bio-filtering. I have 2 options on hand at the moment: A small HOB and a lowly corner air pump filter. Obviously the HOB is the superior choice with more flow, better filtration, less surface agitation, and better looking......but it's tempting to see how far I can go with nothing more than a corner filter. If not only to see what's possible with so little.

7Q7B4513-Edit-Edit copy.JPG

Was at the LFS yesterday and picked up this "Italian Val" which I thought would look nice as a first piece, along with a clipping of Hydrocotyle Leuccephala from the high tech. Background courtesy of the trees outside the window.

You thought absolutely right.. :thumbup: Choice coudn't be better already looks kinda awsome as is. Still got to get used to minimalism, but i like it... :) I think something as a Aponogeton sp. with floaters also would look awsome instead. And might surprise you with some nice flowers too. :)

Last edited:
You thought absolutely right.. :thumbup: Choice coudn't be better already looks kinda awsome as is. Still got to get used to minimalism, but i like it... :) I think something as a Oponogeton sp. with floaters also would look awsome instead. And might surprise you with some nice flowers too. :)
Good suggestion! I'm thinking some annubias bonsai may be in order as well around the rock formation. Fish for this setup will very likely be a red Betta down the line at some point.

Thank you.. :)
I'm thinking some annubias bonsai may be in order as well around the rock formation
Sorry, but here i disagree completely. :) If it was mine, unfortunately it isn't, but since everything you mentioned till now from plants to fish is asian. I would keep it that way and rather would plant a small Bucephalandra sp. instead, like a needle leaf or a catherina.. Which are actualy also much more decorative than a everyday and common African Anubias. Next to that Buce is rather a lithophyte by nature and since its a rock scape it'l fit in like a glove. :thumbup:

Edit.. OOps, i red Tripartita instead.. But your hydrocotyle is brazilan.. Well i would change that too. But never mind me.. Just dreaming if it were mine.. :D

Last edited:
Please don't put a corner filter in, it would destroy the look of inside the tank, a HOB would be suitable I think.

I'd carpet the tank with Micranthemum sp. Monte Carlo, then have a small section of Hydro sp. Japan on the left side on it's own, with a frosted background.

Hardscape it minimalistic, simple, but extremely pleasing on the eye and you should be pleased with the positioning, I would be, great start.

I also like how a single Val is planted and leaning over the scape, really nice.

This will look minted once finished.

This tank and photo are very zen. I too am exploring ways to create aquascapes that are low on maintenance, but high on aesthetics. I will be following the progress on this one closely.

7Q7B0231-Edit.jpg

Well, I was at the hardware store yesterday for unrelated reasons and stumbled upon some natural white sand.

The low tech 10G was growing well with scraps and rejects from the high tech, but quickly malformed from the iwagumi into something with no intent or reasoning. Honestly, it was sort of difficult to do anything beyond what was posted previously here. Every addition seemed illogical.

So...I stopped by the local fish store on the way home and picked up a new piece of driftwood from the few they had left...and here we are.

Still rough around the edges, but we'll get there. Would like to build up the fava fern behind the driftwood to be more bushy and dense.

Advice welcomed as always.

View attachment 91404

Well, I was at the hardware store yesterday for unrelated reasons and stumbled upon some natural white sand.

The low tech 10G was growing well with scraps and rejects from the high tech, but quickly malformed from the iwagumi into something with no intent or reasoning. Honestly, it was sort of difficult to do anything beyond what was posted previously here. Every addition seemed illogical.

So...I stopped by the local fish store on the way home and picked up a new piece of driftwood from the few they had left...and here we are.

Still rough around the edges, but we'll get there. Would like to build up the fava fern behind the driftwood to be more bushy and dense.

Advice welcomed as always.
Personally I love the old layout more than this one. It looks like pointing to somewhere :D Have you taken any photo of the wood before setting up? I think instead of making a virtual triangle you might want to lay the wood down on sand for more nature look

I should rename this, "The scolding finger" :lol:

I like it :)

Didn't pick up on your thread until now...I wondered what the would be as I read through & there wasn't! No ideas to pinch! But I really like the changes you have made to the tank - I like the clean look of you sand substrate - would love to try but doubtful I could maintain the 'clean' :) I'm always considering low tech options & came across crepidomanes malabaricum - it might suit your tank too?

Thanks @Manisha .

The first setup looked cool, but after I took that photo there wasn't much more I could do with it. Every time I added something it would take away from the simplicity. So it was a boring setup to live with.
This new setup, although flawed in design a bit, is more pleasing to look at in person, whereas the first one was more pleasing in a photo.

Crepidomanes malabaricum looks awesome, like a bunch of mini Bolbitis heudelotii. I'm not sure if they have it here in the states yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

If you're considering low tech, I'd say go for it. I have just as much fun as I do with my high tech and with much less maintenance.

Thanks @Manisha .

The first setup looked cool, but after I took that photo there wasn't much more I could do with it. Every time I added something it would take away from the simplicity. So it was a boring setup to live with.
This new setup, although flawed in design a bit, is more pleasing to look at in person, whereas the first one was more pleasing in a photo.

Crepidomanes malabaricum looks awesome, like a bunch of mini Bolbitis heudelotii. I'm not sure if they have it here in the states yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

If you're considering low tech, I'd say go for it. I have just as much fun as I do with my high tech and with much less maintenance.

Apologies, my post wasn't very clear, I'm low tech now - thought it would be a safer starting point & just looking for variety as newish to planted tanks in general! I do have an 'accidental' high tech (because a bought a strong light & needed to add liquid co2 eventually :D:D)

Sorry, I didn't realise your in the States, you maybe have access to some plants we don't http://www.theaquaticplantsociety.org/rotala-ramosior/ is lovely but not available here (& I couldn't grow it low tech anyway...) Maybe by the time it is, I'll have braved into proper high tech haha :p

Back