• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Round indoor pond project queries.

LOL, the concept is sound but the equipment is asking for a disaster, especially when we are trying to avoid flooding at all cost :)

Preventing flooding is not something related to the used material as long as it is water tight.. Tho what's used in the video aslo would'nt be my choice it indeed looks all a bit to wimsy, i would go for stackable hard pvc crates/boxes and build something in simular concept.. A sump if calculated and constructed corectly should have no risk of flooding.. :) The pump should never pump out more water than the tank or pond can take if the drainage stops and the level of drainage should never be more then the volume of the sump. Calculating the volumes visa versa is all to it.. That's not a diy but more a math skill. :)

I was looking into making a skippy filter. Then I thought that by the time I find and get all the parts, make it myself, etc...I might as well buy myself a filter instead. I am thinking now of getting a Fluval FX6. It may blow the shrimp away though :D My cheapo all pond solutions filters are still running perfectly fine but its time for an upgrade :)

I went out yesterday to buy sand for the tank. I couldn't resist and I awarded myself with two tiny cute clown loaches. Yey :D I've been itching to do that for a while...

They are now doing flaps in my small tank with the khuli loaches and 3 corys. In fact, the corys have joined them and the tank is buzzing. They were very pale in the plastic bag but coloured up immediately upon putting in the tank after acclimating and started cracking snails, or trying to because the are too small to break the shells of the bigger ones :)

I'll quarantine them for a couple of months before adding them with the bigger boys.

It was fun cleaning it. I was able to get inside comfortably.

I quite like it. It looks very sturdy.

A few downsides...

I found out I don't have enough sand. Also, no suction cups stick to that polyethylene whatsoever. My plant baskets are redundant right now.

The gooseneck also doesn't fit around the lip but I haven't connected the flood light to it yet anyway. I've hanged it somehow temporarily and I'll think about what I am going to do with the light exactly. It's not sufficient anyway.

Wow guys....Just finished moving the fish and the plants. I am delighted for my fish.

I herded the loaches in a plastic jug one by one because I couldn't find the large net. The only one that got very stressed is the one that had lodged himself in the wood and I had to carry him over with it. The rest took immediately to exploring the tank and if I knew fish any better, I'd say they are quite excited right now, waving tails like puppies..

They took a 2'C drop because I can't wait any longer and it took hours to heat the water. I ran out of hot water while filling the tank....It's not filled to the very top because I don't want anyone to jump out. Right now it's about 58cm water height and 650-700l of water. I think it's plenty for a pleco and 7 loaches that look tiny in this tank...

I also disconnected the spraybar on one of my cheapo all pond solutions filters and oh, wow, that filter does actually have quite the flow. But it's making too much noise because the outlet was above the water so I slowed it down with another plastic turn. I must buy something better than what I have..

Anyways good night. Hopefully the fish will be fine after this final move for them, hopefully....for a while anyway...

Good morning.

I got up earlier than usual, can't sleep from excitement :D

A few good points already noticed:

The clowns behave as if they were set free... It's definitely a win with them. They in fact do swim around the perimeter of the tank as well as exploring it. I think they are totally enjoying the shape of the tank. I was hoping to see their dance antiques sooner than later....They are doing it right now...

And the fact that they can't see me, actually works out better because I can see them extremely well. A chair next to the tank and a cup of coffee right now :rolleyes:

I calculated that the surface area of this tank is roughly 23% more than that of a 6x2x2 tank.

The water flow does go in a circle and the debris settles right in the middle. There are bits of plant roots that got loose from the move.

I can reach all sides of the tank comfortably.

The tank does not bulge, flex or bend in any way. It looks and feels pretty solid. The water level is perfect and I am quite pleased with the purchase. It wasn't the cheapest option despite not being a glass tank but still cheaper than one that size.

I wish I had done this years ago :)

Back