• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Never Give Up Hope!

KipperSarnie

Nearly 70, just over 3 months ago I hadn't kept fish for 30 years.
Savings Interest rates rock bottom!
Perhaps I have another 20 years could be 20 weeks! Days? minutes?
Who knows?
So I went for it!
All new tanks, Trigon 350, Generic 5'x2'x2' + 4'x2'x1.5' + 3'x2'x2' + 2: 2'x2'x2'.
Discus, Uaru, Gourami's all my old favourites.
Needless to say I spent a fortune, fish room, TMC lighting, Filters.........

I moved a breeding pair of discus from the show tank in the house to the fish room, next to the Uaru
Frustration.
The pair hid all the time!
The young Uaru hide all the time!
This definitely was not what I spent my money for, a room full of apparently empty tanks.
Really fed, fed, fed up.

Then this morning, the Discus have free swimming fry!!
How did I miss that?
I suppose feeling sorry for myself.

Oh Happy Days!

Fish room! do a tour on youtube so we can all see sometime! Or you could invite hat Dustin round from over the pond but he's really "american" so it would be way better if you just did it yourself!

I hope your enjoying your new purchases! I'm still planning my next tank. I keep deciding on stuff then changing my mind.

Here's some photo's once all completed with the fish in their respective tanks I intended to run a set with video but for now......

In The Beginning! (Trigon 350)

28252320811_61a43b3713_c.jpg

4'x2'x1.5' For the Discus from the Trigon

30397548612_d0269ce95b_c.jpg

5'x2'x2' Would you believe it? 5 Uaru in here!!!

30514067745_2bb25316bb_c.jpg

3'x2'x2' Not sure as yet. More Discus or Chocolate Gourami

30397549572_cc1b457da4_c.jpg

2'x2'x2' Discus pair with fry. (I have 2 of these tanks)

30215643970_7fbffdae6b_c.jpg

Female with some of the fry

30397546432_7dee9ce3ff_c.jpg

All the tanks have peat & added Tannins, "Black Water" so photography is difficult in the low light. The water is for the fish, not for me!
I have enhanced them slightly.

Last edited:
Here's some photo's once all completed with the fish in their respective tanks I intended to run a set with video but for now......

In The Beginning! (Trigon 350)

View attachment 93756

4'x2'x1.5' For the Discus from the Trigon

View attachment 93757

5'x2'x2' Would you believe it? 5 Uaru in here!!!

View attachment 93758

3'x2'x2' Not sure as yet. More Discus or Chocolate Gourami

View attachment 93759

2'x2'x2' Discus pair with fry. (I have 2 of these tanks)

View attachment 93760

Female with some of the fry

View attachment 93761

All the tanks have peat & added Tannins, "Black Water" so photography is difficult in the low light. The water is for the fish, not for me!
I have enhanced them slightly.
You are my inspiration! I have been thinking really hard about discus in planted tanks. May I know what are you filteration setup for the discus tank and water change routines? Do you feed them beefheart mix or pellets?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I have found that the first tank is very hard to maintain with Discus, although they do breed in the tank It's hard work requiring water changes every other day of 30% at least twice a week.
I do intend to remove the Discus from this tank into the the tank in the second photograph.
I have removed the Uaru from tank 3 into tank 4.
Tank 4 now contains 12 Discus, Wild Green & F1 Browns.
Except for tank 1 all the tanks are in my fish room making water changes easier so I change about 20% twice a week.
Filtration is by External Tetra EX filters.
The breeding pair are in one of two 2ft cubes, with drift wood & a tray of Amazon Swords.
The young are now 11/2" (4cm) in the same tank, I have moved the pair out & I do a 20% water change every other day.

I feed a range of food, dry, frozen & Daphnia from my own cultures but.... Silly me I tried Californian Black Worm / Australian Black Worm & Discus love it but it's expensive & I'm struggling to wean the youngsters of it, I stick the cube to the glass.

The wood is Twisted Hazel from my own tree in the garden.

I have found that the first tank is very hard to maintain with Discus, although they do breed in the tank It's hard work requiring water changes every other day of 30% at least twice a week.
I do intend to remove the Discus from this tank into the the tank in the second photograph.
I have removed the Uaru from tank 3 into tank 4.
Tank 4 now contains 12 Discus, Wild Green & F1 Browns.
Except for tank 1 all the tanks are in my fish room making water changes easier so I change about 20% twice a week.
Filtration is by External Tetra EX filters.
The breeding pair are in one of two 2ft cubes, with drift wood & a tray of Amazon Swords.
The young are now 11/2" (4cm) in the same tank, I have moved the pair out & I do a 20% water change every other day.

I feed a range of food, dry, frozen & Daphnia from my own cultures but.... Silly me I tried Californian Black Worm / Australian Black Worm & Discus love it but it's expensive & I'm struggling to wean the youngsters of it, I stick the cube to the glass.

The wood is Twisted Hazel from my own tree in the garden.

Thank you for your detailed sharing! Much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Back