• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What type of fish are these?

Hard to say could be anything (not aquarium suitable).. :) Like a young fish from a much larger one.. Look here, (can't copy pics from this site) simular looking fish, same river, but much bigger and for consumption, caught in large numbers.
http://picssr.com/photos/seijdel/page14?nsid=14237865@N03

If you look at seriously fish.com and search the site with river name or just Malaisia / Indonesia you might find some articles about fishes found in that region. They also list a small collection of aquarium fishes caught together with these Botias.. :)

A few:
Brevibora dorsiocellata, R. einthovenii, Trigonopoma pauciperforatum, Trigonostigma hengeli,

I'm pretty sure these are food stock caught in a river fish trap.
If you watch closely you'll see him sort aquarium fish out separately, definitely a clown loach or 2 as individuality they are worth more to him sold on rather than as food fish.

I may have video of fish at a market in northern Sumatra, definitely Catfish also they sell young chicken chicks to grow on, poor little mites are dunked in a colour dye first so you see boxes upon boxes of bright red, yellow, green & blue chicks for sale.
The weekly market also trades in rubber where the farmers bring their rubber in big lumps, normally tied to the back of a moped, for auction.

If you look in the supermarkets you will find "Cobbler" on sale, it looks like Cod, less taste & a number of Fish & Chip shops use it if you order "fish & chips" you think you've got Cod but it is a Catfish fillet.
One or two shops have been prosecuted for selling it as cod when a customer has asked for "Cod & chips"
Cobbler (Catfish) is a tenth of the price of cod!

Last edited:
definitely Catfish
Most likely Pangasius, this fish lives in the main river system in abundancy where the larger clown botias are spoted as well. The young ones are mainly caught in the tributaries along with some other 40 different spieces, a few described and known as aquarium suitable are in the above reply. :)

I talk to lots of fish breeders and catchers in Indonesia
They catch millions of clown loach each season from the wild

The catchers only get paid for certain species i.e. Clown loach
Everything else is returned

I tried to ask for some of the others but yet no one will save any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back