• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 BPS question

DavidW

Hi, on my 190 litre tanks I had it set at 2 bps using an inline diffuser and the colour in my drop checker was green. On my larger 420 litre tank I have an in tank diffuser and the bps is so fast I cant count it for my drop checker to go green but having it say set to 10 bps and the drop check remains blue.

I have tried the drop checker in different places and I also have a circulation pump to help distribute the CO2.

Why is there such a difference? and is it safe for the fish?

Thanks

Have you tried filming the bubble counter and counting bubbles in slow motion?

The amount of water surface and surface agitation make a huge difference on how much CO2 is lost.

Usually on larger tanks 2 filters and CO2 diffusers are used for a more efficient water flow and CO2 distribution.

I've got a sump on the larger tank with 1 return pump but I could split the return flow into two pipes as it goes into the tank.
20161024_160349.jpg

I could put my in-tank diffuser inside the return pipe. What do you think?

Same as they would be any other way, I use a PH pen to establish a one point drop & in my case that seems perfect!
I sometimes read on hear that some folk (well one in particular) gets a green DC on his 180l using just 1-2 BPS but I think that would be the exception rather than the rule.
I really don't get on with high pressure in line atomisers & although I have used a reactor for many years, I just prefer the simplicity of injecting the co2 directly into my return pump. I don't even use a BC anymore but I can always count the bubbles by moving the Co2 line back from the pump inlet.
The disadvantage is .. the fizzy drink effect within the display .. but the ease of use & zero maintenance of the C02 equipment is worth the fizz.
However you may find your pump is not as efficient as mine at chopping up the bubbles & therefor you may need an low pressure atomiser in front of the pump.
I use a Grudfoss central heating pump fitted with an Aquaturn conversion kit (you can see it in my vid under "high flow reactor" in my signature link)
My tank is around 200l & I use 2kg of gas every 10-12 weeks.
I have posted a pic of the cut down bottle many time on this forum but Photobucket is down at the moment, I can post later if necessary.

I've got a Jecod DCS3000, it's a god pump no idea how good it would be chopping up the bubbles.
Most pumps are very poor at chopping up CO2 bubbles due to the very short time the CO2 is in the presence of the impellor. This is why it better to pump the CO2 water through pan scrubber or filter in order to give more "things" for the CO2 bubbles to bump into.

To do it properly you really need something like this.
https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/pumps/compact_plus-marine

Though many people modify existing pumps to make their own needle pumps. Just google for "diy needle pump" to see all the various ways you can make them.

Ah Ian my old friend! I was expecting you to come along and contradict my post..... Oh well I guess I haven't been doing it properly!
Still here. Yes you need to drill loads of tiny holes in your CH pump impellor to do CO2 bubble smashing properly...;)

Back