• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2 or 4 tubes

Mr P

hi.my tank at the moment is 80 x50 x55 cm.i have 2 x24w t5s, I am using pressurised co2 and el ferts..the problem is that the sides of the tank do not get a lot of light as the bulbs are a lot shorter than the tank.i am going to upgrade the lights and have been looking at the all pond solutions luminaire which you can have 2x39wt5s or 4x39wt5s.is the expense of the additional 2 bulbs really needed on my tank?any help would be great.thanks skankypup.

Depending how much work you want to be honest, with 4 tubes everything will grow much quicker, also you will need to pump a lot more ferts and CO2 into the tank to avoid algae.

Also note that luminaires with 39w tubes will be slightly larger than the tank, I have a Rio 125 which is 80cm wide and I use 24w T5 luminaires, I have one 4x24w T5 and another 2x24w T5 but I would not recommend using this much light unless you can really push the CO2.

hi. thanks for your feedback.the light unit with 4 bulbs does have switching between 2 or 4 bulb.i know the lights will be abit largerthan the tank ,that does not bother me.i do have a lot of fish in the tank and I don't know how much more co2 I could put in,the drop checker is bright green now.the 2bulb unit Is £ 50 cheaper.i think iwill go for the 2 bulb option which is roughly 50%more light than I have at the moment but will cover a greater area in the tank.
all the best skankypup.

Back