• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

450 litre tank lighting combo

meg66

Seedling
hello

setting up my 450 litre ex marine with sump have a 8x54 watt ati unit what would be best combo of bulbs for carpet and moss plants please

thank you

Martin

Hi Martin,

8x54w on a 4footer from an ATI is way more light than you need. Hopefully you have the dimmable version, if not then you really only need 2x54w. It will likely make things difficult for you otherwise.

Bulbwise any combination that you like the look off, although prolly best not use Actinics.

Cheap T5s: 54 Watt 1149mm

personally im using a combination of Arcadia Freshwater and original, but these are not to everyones tastes and are more expensive. Look at the article under lighting: Cheap HO T5 fluorescent tubes - Update with photos | UK Aquatic Plant Society

thanks for the replies i have kept high spec planted tanks with lots of light, before marines but not this size i was thinking of using two mp10 on low setting to help with movement and co2 dispersing in the tank using co2 diffusers near them ,also i could use less bulbs on the ati unit

You can try using lots of light if you like but there are very few people who do that successfully, we occasionally get someone who proves us all wrong and gets good results with mega lighting but those folk don't seem to stay around for long. ;)
It is more about balancing the components, if you use mega light you need mega C02 & mega flow & that normally means - uncomfortable fish living on the edge & daily high maintenance.
Or you can use much lower light, less gas, have happy fish & still get fast, lush plant growth!
The huge majority of us use surprisingly low light & you can check the forums pictures to see just how well that works :)
The other issue is your sump! I use a sump on my lounge tank & I love it but you can expect to use more C02 as a lot of gas escapes down the overflow!
So, I would first of all, secure a nice big C02 bottle & a cheap way to refill it.

Back