• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

5 foot hi-tec setup progress

AndySingh

Hello everyone, I posted up on this forum over 9 months ago when I was having major algae issues, within weeks of initial setup. I seem to have most issues under control now. A lot of you helped with your comments and suggestions and I thought it would be good to show everyone how the tank was coming along.

Spec is as follows

5 foot Rena (500litres)

Eheim professional 3e, using biohome substrate and efhi substrat pro
Vistherm 300watt heaters x 2
Eheim internal - to create extra flow

Aqualumi controller t5 with arcadia reflectors
2x 54 watt skywhite/ 5hours
2x 54 watt grolux/ 5hours, with a 1 hour overlapp

Substrate: ecocomplete (5bags) and ADA power sand on top (1.5 bags)
Co2 injection from co2 art using a 2 kg fire extinguisher and two atomizers
Dosing every other day with magnesium nitrate, potassium nitrate, chelated trace, di- potassium phosphate and easy carbo.
4 pieces of large bogwood

25-30% water changes every 2 weeks
pH 6.8-7.0
10 hours of lighting

Flora
3 types of vallis, nymphea stellata, nymphea lotus, apongeton, wisteria hygrophila, java fern java moss, madagascar lace leaf, 1 large echinodorus radicans, rotala indica, myriophyllum mattogrossense red, rotala macarandra, pogotemon erectus, pogostemon helferi, blyxa japonica, sagittara, elocharis parvula, moss balls, star grass, luwigia mullerti.

Fauna
4 kuhlis (originally 8)
6-7 ottos (originally 9)
26 ?costello tetras. they are not costellos but look alot like them.(originally 30)
4-6 harlequin rasboras (originally 12)
3-4 serpae tetras (originally 6)
6-7 red chinned panchax - actively breeding, so have two babies in the spare tank
various inverts: snails, ramshorn snails, mayalsian trumpets, assassins, countless ghost shrimp

IMG_3678_zpst0xhtwrs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3680_zpsfgjbi457.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3681_zpsfcf1nqvr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3685_zpsofdqd6pe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Its always a work in progress, it has looked better than this before.

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/a5139/library/5 foot July 2016

HI Everyone, Its been a while, just figured Id put up a few pictures of the setup. Forgot how to put the pictures up on here but Ill keep trying.

Cheers guys,

No Dahl I havn't done that but I could do time allowing :\

thanks BBogdan, I do trim them but I have a spare tank for temporary storage and then sell them on to local aquarists through gumtree etc

Thats very interesting dw1305 they all look so much like mine but yet there all missing something. Since last year theyve started coloring up with a reddish tinge to them with more red on the tail, Perhaps theyre just a hybrid which could explain why theyve never laid eggs or displayed any advanced mating behaviour.

Anyways enjoy the latest photos, if they havent come up or theres an issue please let me know. Thanks.

Hi all, Have a look at <"Serrapinus (Cheirodon) kriegi">, <"Hyphessobrycon elachys"> or <"Aphyocharax (paraguayensis) nattereri">.There are loads of Tetras with similar marking in S. America, and a lot of them only come in as "by-catch" with other fish. <"Epiplatys dageti">? They are nice. Are you in the UK?

cheers Darrel

Darrel if you're after some there's a tank full of them at Fishkeeper Scotland, Edinburgh (Maidenhead branch). Lovely, healthy fish with fantastic colour

Hi all,
Darrel if you're after some there's a tank full of them at Fishkeeper Scotland, Edinburgh (Maidenhead branch). Lovely, healthy fish with fantastic colour
Thanks Joe, apologies for the lack of reply I've been in the <"Wendland in Germany">, and I haven't had access to the WWW.

Edinburgh is a bit out of range, but I wonder whether they've come from a local breeder or have been ordered by MA? There is a good MA branch locally (<"Leekes at Melksham">), who could possibly order them for me.

cheers Darrel

Hello, If you are interested in the tetras, I am actually looking to sell mine on, but I reside in Oldbury, Birmingham. Reason: they never behaved as 'promised' not the best of shoalers and I was looking for a strong shoaling fish for a densely planted tank, where I only needed one species to create that effect. I can offer collection.

Back