• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

8ft sump

gareth

Seedling
Hi everyone just looking for some help please.

i have an 8ft tank that was used as marine but im now goin to use it as fw. i used a sump with it that im goin to keep with it my question is the tank has two weirs in each weir it has a return and a waste now i know with marines it needs a massive turnover with water and flow do i need as much with a planted tank.
i was thinking of blocking one up and just have one being used there will be an 8000lph pump on it and with the rerun i will have 2 loc lines giving me plenty of movement on top and an additional power head at the opposite end the give me plenty of flow.

hope that makes sense.

If this will be a CO2 gas injected tank, then the manner in which flow is distributed in the tank is as important as the throughput. See the thread http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/water-flow-in-the-planted-aquarium.1167/
Placing pump outputs at opposite areas of the tank, or pointing in opposite directions is counterproductive at best.

However, if the tank will not be CO2 enriched then high flow rate & critical distribution are not much of an issue.

As foxfish mentions, enriched CO2 dissipates very quickly when water is agitated, so any type of overflow will degas the water. The gas will also evaporate while in the sump, so if possible the sump should be covered to mitigate this loss.

Cheers,

Back