• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90litre Tank FISH stocking query

Gina

Seedling
Hi newbie here,
I have recently set up a Fluval Roma 90 with a JBL greenline 901 filter and LED retrofit lighting. Plant wise it has been planted jungle style with the usual suspects. As I was more focused on the plants and scapeing initially I didn't spend much time on the the stocking list fish wise.
Currently I have:
4 Amano Shrimp
5 purple/black Harlequin Rasbora

I will be adding the the purple Harlequin shoal, unsure how many more though probably another 3 at least. I would like another shoal any ideas? I've been looking a species that have an adult size of 3cm or under due to the tank size.

G

Several small rasboras are mentioned in this PFK article - somewhere there is a behavioral paper on rasboras where it was observed that 8 is a minimum shoal # for rasboras in terms of tracked behaviors (sorry don't recall which species were included) so definitely increase your purple harlequin shoal, you might even consider having them as the only upper water level shoal & adding in several pygmy cories - choose hastatus for the "most" midwater swimming from corydoras, though similar behavior is also seen with C. pygmaeus, whereas C. habrosus is reported as displaying more traditional substrate behaviors BUT you do want to add in 10 -12 of these as a minimum # (of course any corydoras should be kept in numbers :) )

Ember tetras of course (check Lauris tank journal for some photos)

A pair/trio of dwarf apisto's - need to do your research on species as some are much more peaceful than others

Wow, thank you for such quick responses and for the suggestions! I will get on it an look into these. Hoping to add to the Harlequin shoal this week to get them settled in.

I've included links in my reply (that subtle green) :)
There are always loads of potential fish, but then depending on location it can be a challenge to track down what you'd like

Lauris tank journal (meant to include the link :oops:)

Hi all,
I like the little Corydoras spp. Corydoras hastatus aren't easy to find in the UK. Corydoras pygmaeus are easier to buy, but they both need careful feeding. Corydoras panda are a bit bigger (bigger than Corydoras habrosus), but still might be suitable.
I wouldn't go down the Apistogramma route unless you have reasonably soft water and don't mind them eating your shrimps when they moult.

cheers Darrel

Reactions: tim
Thank you all again. Has anyone had experience of Microdevario kubotai (green/yellow Rasbora)?

With all these suggestions I can feel a second tank project developing....

Thank you all again. Has anyone had experience of Microdevario kubotai (green/yellow Rasbora)?
Lauris had them in his tank but recently switched over to embers & rams, check the journal for some rather nice photos :)
I've been after some for months but repeat "orders" from trans shippers continues to end in no actual fish arriving - this shop has some in stock at excellent price.

It's odd about C hastatus as they used to show up on the lists regularly, but now it's been several years.

The most quarrelsome fish I've ever kept.
Started off with 20; one by one the weaker ones would get picked off.
Ended up with couple of dominant ones.In 15+ years,never had any fish numbers dwindle so fast.

Reactions: tim
I have read a few similar stories about that kind of behaviour with others 'rasboras'. Might steer towards a suitable tetra maybe for tank.

Back