• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Acclimatising to CO2?

Crossocheilus

First of all, is it possible for fish to adapt to high CO2, or do they have a certain level of resistance that cannot change? When I have taken a copper harlequin from my no-tech tank to my high-tech to test they become lethargic and breath heavily, so are returned to no-tech. I am running a green dc (so not super high CO2), yet the fish seem very unhappy. I can run an airstone before lights/CO2 on to increase oxygen a bit. I also have a surface skimmer and slight surface agitation/rippling from spray bars. I really want to get a clean-up crew into my new tank as the plants are doing well now, but don't want the fish (or plants) to suffer. Do I just need to add the fish, let them get over the initial difficulty and adapt? Seems a little brutal…

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I think they do need to adapt.

IIRC Clive wrote about leaving fish in the bags from transport to help with the acclimation process. The CO2 levels would build within the bag (also dropping the pH and turning ammonia into ammonium) and the fish would be slowly introduced to higher CO2 levels. Then when he added them to his tank it was not such a shock.

Really? How long do you think you would leave them in the sealed bag? Can they adapt over an hour, or even a day? Surely if this is the case you can put them straight into the tank (or drip feed) then as long as they are not dead/dying just not especially happy, they will get used to it after a day or a week or how ever long it takes.

Thanks Clive, very informative and surprisingly simple. So you leave the bag in overnight? Although I don't doubt it has worked for you plenty of times, I still worry about the ammonia and lack of O2. I may just slightly lower CO2 for a few days when introducing fish and run an airstone for an hour or so before lights on to increase oxygen/off gas CO2.

Thanks Clive, very informative and surprisingly simple. So you leave the bag in overnight?
Well, yeah, I mean, when fish are imported from jungles 8000 miles away they stick them in a large bag with plenty of air space and send them on a journey that will last at least overnight. Stress increases the heart rate and breating. The weaker ones don't survive. Animal transport is brutal business. Consider that the next time you are enjoying your Chicken Tikka Masala...

Cheers,

Back