• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60F iwagumi

how many pots would you advise getting and also what are best shrimp to get and you think be best to go to local aquarium shop ? not sure were any are apart from garden center ones that sell fish lol

thanks dean

also is dosing 6.5ml of micro or macro and 5ml flourish daily is that about right ?

and any help on above question would be great

Dean

my 6 pots of tropica mini hair grass arrived and just wondering how many pieces to cut it into ? then will update with a pic

thanks dean

well I broke into portions and I know I put too many in each group but I must have got around 20-25 per pot and didn't have time too go any further as in work early so bed time but here is some pics

dscn0772u.jpg

dscn0773y.jpg

pictures don't do justice of actually how many there is it took ages lol

dscn0775ke.jpg

I was impressed with the grass really good quality and you get so much f=more than I did with first pots that weren't tropica 1-2 grow so very impressed hopefully takes hold then I can buy more to fill the tank, one thing I noticed is when planting loads of individual strands raise to surface but not much of a problem anyway any comments welcome

Dean

Here's a quick guide to Eleocharis sp mini that I was taught my Obi Wan.
I used an old portion that's been rotting away on my windowsill, so I didn't bother cleaning all the goo off - do this thoroughly before you start dividing. You don't want those extra nutrients messing up your tank.
tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io1_250.jpg
tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io2_250.jpg

As you can see the edge comes off the rest of the portion in a nice string. I rip it off, no scissors.
Then, again by hand, I divide the edge and middle part in to pieces like this.
tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io3_250.jpg

Then I fold the pieces into a compact little bundle - ideal for being handled with tweezers.
tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io4_250.jpg
tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io5_250.jpg

I'm not too anal, so I get around 20 bundles, I'm sure you can stretch it to 25 with little effort.

Attachments

• tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io1_250.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 353
  • tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io2_250.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 356
  • tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io5_250.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 361
  • tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io5_250.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 360
  • tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io4_250.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 363
  • tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io3_250.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 359
  • tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io2_250.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 368
  • tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io4_250.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 357
  • tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io1_250.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 357
  • tumblr_ml5apflwnP1s8585io3_250.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 363
I forgot to clean all the goo off but hopefully will be fine and I know u could go on all day separating into littler prices but happy with what I got will post another pic later turned up co2 to yellow drop checker should it be ok with the goo still on

Thanks dean

here is a better pic with the lights on will the goo just fade off the grass ? also hope this grass doesn't seem to go to nothing as the last bunch did but this seems much better quality

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

what you think
Dean

Just be aware that goo contains high amount of nutrients, so if you have left a bit on, you might just want to do a couple of extra water changes over the next week.

Looking good :) you still keeping the lights on the low side? Dosing ferts? Any LC?
yeah only 1 24w bulb and its high above tank will take pic tomorrow, and yeah still doing EI dosing daily and not sure what you mean by lc ?

Just be aware that goo contains high amount of nutrients, so if you have left a bit on, you might just want to do a couple of extra water changes over the next week.
thanks ian thanks for that I am still doing water change every other day anyway so should that be ok ?

I honestly don't know were all my old grass went as never melted just went to nothing but hopefully with o2 and reduced light this one will spread

Thanks dean

Hi Deano
Just to let you know, the "goo" is produced to give off nutrients on a long-term basis....... and that is what it will still do in your tank. Waterchanges therefore does help........but get as much out of the tank as possible, by ex. siphoning! In future remember to wash it off ;)
Mick.

Hi Deano
Just to let you know, the "goo" is produced to give off nutrients on a long-term basis....... and that is what it will still do in your tank. Waterchanges therefore does help........but get as much out of the tank as possible, by ex. siphoning! In future remember to wash it off ;)
Mick.
I know first time used it so didn't realise but will know next time , will do water change later today u still think I should keep doing ei dosing ?
Liquid Carbon like EasyCarbo ;)
Yeah still doing 4 ml or flourish excell daily that ok ? Looking forward to getting some shrimp in there in a week or so, how do u drain tank when shrimp in it ? I usually put a small pipe in and hover over the hair grass to get algae but will shrimp do the cleaning up so I can just put pipe in the top of the tank to drain

Thanks dean

You should give the 1-2-Grow's a little food, from the wery start, yes - as different to potted plants, they come with very little food-ressources.
Mick.

Yeah still doing 4 ml or flourish excell daily that ok ?
Once the algae clears you can ease a little on this, maybe only dose it 2-3 times a week.

Looking forward to getting some shrimp in there in a week or so, how do u drain tank when shrimp in it ?
Just be careful, you could always drop the water into a net in the bucket, that way you can check if there are any shrimp there, I do that on my shrimp nanos.

Once the algae clears you can ease a little on this, maybe only dose it 2-3 times a week.

Just be careful, you could always drop the water into a net in the bucket, that way you can check if there are any shrimp there, I do that on my shrimp nanos.
good idea mate I will do that ok will start dropping the daily dose to every other day soon but what shrimp would you recommend then best fro cleaning up etc and how many at first ?

thanks dean

Back