• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding a New Filter!

kylumi

Seedling
Hello guys,

I am two weeks into a fishless cycle and have purchased a new filter from Germany which will arrive at the end of the week. Would there be a cycling issue if I introduced the "new" filter along side the existing one.
My intention is to run both simultaneously.

Effectively all you are doing is giving the bacteria more filter media to grow on, more surface area. So no, it will have no ill effects.

Thanks for the reply Jules.....I kinda looked at it that way too.:thumbup:

Fish suffer if you use them to cycle the tanks. They have to swim in ammonia until bacteria build up.

Fishless cycling by adding 5% ammonia at the correct doseage every day is much quicker, it takes about 20-30 days, using live fish or just dropping food on the tank can take a lot longer.

If you're referring to bottled bacteria, I'm pretty sure this is all just a scam. I don't see how bacteria can survive in a small plastic bottle while being transported and stored at various different temperatures. I don't think these bottles have expiry dates either, which again makes no sense... Wouldn't surprise me if they are just water with a small amount or ammonia mixed in.

Hi all,
I don't cycle my tanks, beauty of plant heavy, floating plants and big water changes.
I don't either, and the "plant and then wait" is pretty much the approach we recommend.

There is a useful thread here: <"Cycling a planted tank">.

I'd have to say that "cycling" is probably the thread that causes the most heated debate of all topics on the forums that I belong to.

cheers Darrel

So your point is that if you do not how the space shuttle is made then it is a scam? Just think how bacteria can survive in radioactive waste and you will get the answer to your question.

No, my point is that I am sceptical when someone tells me to forget everything I think I know and that I should buy their product which can achieve the same results instantly.

And your point is that because SOME bacteria can survive in nuclear waste, ALL bacteria can? Really?

By arguments I think you mean facts. Its a pretty common fact that filter media is sensative to chemicals in tap water, let alone nuclear waste, and that companies that sell bacteria cycling products are the same companies that sell useless test kits, co2 tablets etc. Forgive me for not having a degree in microbiology before I stated my personal opinion.

argument
ˈɑːgjʊm(ə)nt/
noun
  1. an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
    "I've had an argument with my father"
    synonyms:quarrel, disagreement, squabble, fight, difference of opinion, dispute,wrangle, clash, altercation, feud, dissension, war of words,contretemps, exchange of views;
  2. a reason or set of reasons given in support of an idea, action or theory.
    "there is a strong argument for submitting a formal appeal"
    synonyms:reasoning, line of reasoning, logic, case;

Well my friend, I don't have time to explore every scepticism within my consciousnesses. If I was writing an educational study exploring said product, I would indeed be sure to give reasons in support of my idea. However this is not what you asked for, your question was directed at me and I gave you my opinion. I hope you find the answers you are looking for, be sure to share them on this thread so that we can all learn from them.

In the meantime I will continue to give my opinion, based on my own experiences, to people who realise that this is all I am giving them.

I see that is very popular in UK to cycle the tanks without fish. May I know the reasons why? Are you introducing ammonia to provide some food and help beneficial bacteria to multiply or you just circulate the water?

Hello EdwinK,:wave:

It is the preferred method for tank preparation prior to introducing fish.....but not just in the UK.
The method is used globally by some and not by others....I suppose it just comes down to a matter of preference.
The Nitrogen cycle is probably popularized by the fact that it's natural ecological process. However, in tropical fish-keeping it is likely that its a carry over from Marine fish keepers.
If you go into your local tropical fish shop to buy a fish-tank, you will very rarely hear the salesman tell you anything about "cycling".....what you will hear is, "fill the tank with water, add some conditioner and leave for 7 days before adding your fish".
This is my first ever tank cycling attempt, the reason I am doing it this way is because I'm hoping to preserve the life of my purchases.
If it works, it works.....if it doesn't then at least I can satisfy conscience by having made the attempt.
:)

it makes no sense to cycle the "empty" water
Well it does work. There are enough bacteria hanging round in the empty tank, on new substrate, on the surfaces even on a brand new tank, even just falling from the air and from you as you set up your tank, place your hands in the water and drip sweat as you carefully arrange you scape. My mates tank I helped him set up was done like this. He got ammonia spike, followed by nitrite spike and finally increasing nitrate. Took maybe 8 weeks, in which he did nothing....except wipe some green algae off glass and move a few plants around. Light was only running 3-4hours a day, when he had the plants in.

Also my initial tank was set up using dried dirty media. The previous owner of my tank had emptied it out for pickup, but carefully dried the filter sponges in his airing cupboard. Anyway placed them back in filter, filled tank with substrate, a few plants, water and fish (also given away with the tank). Sat there with my brand new ammonia test kit and Amquel (removes ammonia) and ready water changes, but nothing. Zilch on ammonia test kit. Even had to go and buy some ammonia from Homebase to prove test kit was working, which it was. So dried filter media survived.

As I had so much ammonia left over, I found other used. Great use is cleaning mucky shelves from your oven. Put the shelves in a poly bag (outside :couchpotato:), douse with ammonia, leave outside to a day or two (it stinks) and you will find the grease/gunk just wipes off the shelves leaving them sparkling like new.

I totally agree with you. But what I mean here is that tank can be cycled with fish in and you can start enjoying your underwater world as soon as your hardscape and plants are in place. This is how I prefer the cycling:
Day 1
Set up all the hardware, hardscape, plants, fill the water in;
Check out if everything is working as should be;
Add some bacteria;
Check the temperature;
If temperature is ok introduce fish. I prefer like 10 neon tetras for 200 litres.
I do not use conditioner because there is no chlorine in my tap water.

Day 2-Day 8
Water changes every day at least 50 percent;
Add some bacteria;
Introduce 10 more fish;

Day 9-Day 16
Water changes every other day at least 50 percent;
Introduce 10 more fish;

Day 16- Day 22
Water changes every three days at least 50 percent;
Introduce more fish

Day 23 - Day XX
Water changes two times a week at least 50 percent;