• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae eating goby doesn't eat algae!

Goldfish122

Seedling
hi everyone. On Sunday I brought a stiphodon goby (not too sure of the species yet) and I was told it ate bloodworms. After further research I found out it at algae. I have green hair algae, green algae, brown algae in tank and he hasn't eaten any of it. He loooooves frozen bloodworms but he doesn't eat anything else. Is this bad?

It will gaze alage on stone or woods. mine only eat green alage on driftwood, doesn't touch hair alage.

give it a few days to settle in, give it some cave hiding place, after it settles in, it will look for alage by its nature instinct. great fun to watch gazing the alage.

The problem is I've had it for 5 days now. I think it was only fed bloodworms at the lfs that it came from and it was there for a few months.

Can I try feeding it goldfish flakes? They contain algae and veggie matter that will be better for it than bloodworms.

Your Goby is obviously just adapted to the finer things in life, if I cooked you gourmet prime rib whenever you asked me to how often do you think you would want chewy rump steak from Wetherspoons? :)

Most stiphodon's graze on the micro fauna that live in algae and bio film, i ve never seen them make a noticable difference to algae in a planted tank but if you culture some smooth boulders under bright light (outside in the summer) until they go green and fuzzy they will go crazy for it.
If you want it to manage algae then your better off looking at the usual suspects... ottos, amano shrimp, sae's etc...
Awesome fish though :)

Back